ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Proper drive configuration for AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg SageProper drive configuration for AE
by on Sep 22, 2014 at 8:09:17 pm

Making sure I understand proper drive utilization.

So, I need a fast drive for the media cache, right? Is that the most important bit? How important is fast drive for the boot? I've read that it is, but I can't see anywhere WHY it is. Isn't everything I need from the boot drive already in ram when running?

Trying to avoid bottlenecks, so which drives exactly need to be separate? For instance, do I need one drive for the boot, one for the media cache, and a third to write to for renders? Can that drive be the same as the one hosting my footage? Is it slowing down trying to read and write to same drive?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Proper drive configuration for AE
by on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:06:51 am

First, a correction: You've said "media cache", but I presume that you mean "disk cache". They are very different things.

For After Effects, you want to make sure that the disk cache is on the fastest drive that you have with the fastest connection.

Having your applications on a fast drive is nice, too, but it only really matters for decreasing application start time. That may matter more if you're switching between applications a lot.

Having programs and the disk cache on the same disk isn't a significant problem, since the reads for one happen at a different time than the reads for the other.

Just don't put your footage and your cache on the same disk.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: Proper drive configuration for AE
by on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:25:28 am

Don't really care about load times for apps.

So, let me see if I have this right:

Disk 1 (ssd)

OSX, Programs, Disk cache

Disk 2 (can be slower?)

If so, where does the conformed media cache go?

Also, what about rendering out? Does that need to be on a third disk, or can it go back with the footage? Same q for any other files like those generated by PR or AU... third disk, or same as footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved