ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Glow effects for stadium lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali QuintanaGlow effects for stadium lights
by on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:57:40 am

I have a 3d max render of a STADIUM. Please see attached.

It is only 3 secs, but its for a TV commercial intro.

I am looking for ways to make this look better i AE.

Thinking about GLOW and othe rlight efffects. How ever, I been active in post with AE but never for lights.

Any advice for standard effects? Or even 3rd party pluggins?

Any advice to make this look better. I feel the lights look too flat, specially the parking lights and the rooftop floodlights.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Glow effects for stadium lights
by on Sep 22, 2014 at 2:33:27 am

My first suggestions would be third party plugins - Optical Flares, Knoll Lens Flare, or Red Giant Lux. You also might be able to kick things up with just some glows, created on black, then superimposed on the scene in Additive mode.

I think that what's making it look flat is the fact that there are no lens abberations which would occur when shooting such a scene with a camera. By putting some carefully placed lens flares and hot spots, you could kick things up. You could also go back into Max and add some flares to the lights, and maybe some volumetric effects, but it would certainly be quicker in AE.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Ali QuintanaRe: Glow effects for stadium lights
by on Sep 22, 2014 at 4:03:20 am

Thak you Sir, I just happen to have Knol lens flares. Never used it though.

What about Trapcode sttar glow?

Yes The render time was killing for this and adding the effects in Max will make rendertime so much longer.

What is the best way to fake the volumetric effect in AE with Knol?
any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Glow effects for stadium lights
by on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:08:48 pm

Star glow might work for the street lights. You could render a street light only luminescence pass, add star glow to that, and add it over your video. But at a really low level, other wise it would be pretty overwhelming.

I second the lens flares---not sure about knoll, but VideoCopilot allows you to place the flares on 3D lights in AE---so if you can export the Camera Information from your 3d application, the 3D lights would track with your camera. Also, you could place 3D lights in the scene with AE, and purchase Trapcode Lux, which creates volumetric lighting.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Glow effects for stadium lights
by on Sep 22, 2014 at 3:45:48 pm
Last Edited By Doyle Lewis on Sep 22, 2014 at 4:23:51 pm

So I have attached a project file that is the video you sent composited with some glows and atmosphere. I did a very crude track of your camera just by eye. You could replace this camera with an actual position information exported from the 3d software you used. I then created fog using a fractal noise and masking it into an odd shape. Set my blending mode to screen and lowered the opacity. I set the evolution to time*50 and scattedred duplicated layers in 3d space so that they would pass by the camera and scale as the camera moved towards the stadium. I also scrubbed the start times for them so that they all didn't animate uniformely and changed random ones to an evolution of time*80. I then duplicated your footage added a multiplied glow to it and set the layer to darken. I played with the glow settings till i got one i liked. I added a black solid with a mask to create a Vignette to make it appear like it was shot with a lens and created a slightly tighter mask on an adjustment layer with a Gaussian blur to add a bit of fake focus. If you can make a zpass of your comp then ignore this layer and instead set the zpass to be a mask for a lens blur effect. To add to the fake focus I made a 3d adjustment layer and set it as the farthest back object in z space. Set a Gaussian blur and masked around the stadium so that the city and the sky would be out of focus. (once again a zpass could solve this in a much more precise way.) The one thing I didn't add to the project file that I would if you have the ability is lens flares. If you have VC optical Flares I would suggest using the bright parts of the light as a luma matte and set the flares to track luma and make them subtle because there are a lot of lights.. Then use the lights on the stadium and create a luma matte and maybe set some brighter stronger flares to that. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions or suggestions

Edit: I would also add some overall color grading to give it a feel and pull it into the same space. I did it after uploading this link and it added a lot to the believability.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved