ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM preview audio sync changes when switching from half to full res

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Smith
RAM preview audio sync changes when switching from half to full res
on Sep 18, 2014 at 2:49:11 pm

Using AE 2014 CC on OSX 10.9.4. Trying to sync moves in AE to music track. When I am working in half res so I can get faster RAM previews, the audio plays back 10 frames or so later than when I am in Full Res. This did not used to happen in older versions of AE.

Just thinking now I will change the buffer size in audio hardware for the BMD card.

Would be good to have audio sync at all ram preview resolutions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: RAM preview audio sync changes when switching from half to full res
on Sep 18, 2014 at 4:48:19 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:00:16 pm

Well, in the volatile world of AE, that may happen. Sorry.

You may have to use other RAM Preview stratiegies, of which there are a boatload.... and if you're a veteran AE user, you may have employed them in the past.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Sep 18, 2014 at 4:57:50 pm

In the past (pre CS and 3-6) I was able to preview half res RAM previews in sync if I also adjusted the comp to be 50% in size. However it is not working with CC.

Do you have any work arounds for being able to have audio stay in sync with half res RAM previews?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:06:24 pm

Eeeeeuw.

Someone who's actually bought into the Adobe, "Rent The Software That's Essential To Your Business And That You'll Never Own To Make Changes Later If Your Rental's Up" business model will have to answer that one. I can't.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:28:09 pm

Are you previewing this on some sort of external monitor setup through a Blackmagic card or something similar?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
on Dec 25, 2014 at 8:41:46 pm

I am a novice. Audio sync problems is the problem I usually have. It has to be that there are a class of problems that is a contributor to this type of problem and learning what the class of problems is would be a great help to me, but I have had no luck learning what that class of problems is, so far.

Using a faster computer, I have had to do this less. So, I assume it is something about the video processing I have done that places higher demand on the computer.

The below hackish solution should be so repulsive to a professional that they will be unable to help themselves from coughing up a general solution that is intelligent:

My brainless solution has been to append extra video that I won't use. The idea is that, for me, the sync problems occur at the end.

So, for example, if I have 4 clips, the 4th is out of sync. I then kind of guess based on how extreme it is if it is "really" out of sync or not. If it's just "normally" out of sync. I continue and check on it later. After having appended a 5th clip, the 4th clip is no longer out of sync but the 5th is, etc.

So, when I have this audio sync problem, putting video I am not going to use at the end for the purpose of previewing is what I do.

It seems to work to then limit the work area and preview that ignoring the fluff at the end.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:02:32 pm

Assuming you do a proper RAM Preview -- i.e. no "Play" button in the previewing pane or no spacebar -- there are all sorts of ways to preview in real time. I use all of them in various combinations:
  • Half-resolution and 50% viewer size
  • Use the AE Region of Interest
  • Preview every other frame (Shift-0)

A lot of the previewing speed has to do with the hardware.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kendall Shaw
on Dec 26, 2014 at 10:27:00 pm

I think the original poster is asking about audio sync issues while previewing. Presumably the hardware didn't change between times when there was not an audio sync problem.

The typical response challenges the premise of the question, ignores what the poster wrote and lists an assortment of scenarios in which audio becomes out of sync, without identifying a fundamental cause.

My workaround is appalling. But, it is a way to function until I figure out what the patterns of mistaken video processing choices are that frequently result in audio being out of sync when the computer is unable to render fast enough, as opposed to say both video and audio being rendered in fits and starts.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 11:04:19 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 26, 2014 at 11:08:24 pm

Not really.

If RAM can't keep up with the bitrate of the video -- which can frequently happen -- the video will be out of sync with the audio and actual synchronization of audio to video would have nothing to do with it.

With AE, it's almost always wiser to first consider that the video isn't being previewed at the proper frame rate than it is to jump to the conclusion that the audio track is no longer synced to the video track.

It's also quite esasy to tell if the video isn't being previewed at the proper speed: you'll know in the Info pane, in whose favor I deleted the playback controls pane (play/pause/ffwd/rev/etc.) many years ago... it's pretty much useless.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]