ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Markers randomly multiply on import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris OlsenMarkers randomly multiply on import
by on Sep 17, 2014 at 9:32:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I've run into this problem a couple times, and it seems pretty random, but here's the deal: I'm in a workflow where I'm given an uncompressed video file with some markers in it, and I add stuff in AE. The markers are placed there in Premiere Pro, and the video is exported. However, sometimes (not always), when I pull the video file into After Effects, markers appear where they were never placed, which leads to some confusion, and sort of spoils the point.

Has anybody had this problem? Markers multiplying from a video clip import? Can somebody shed a little light on how markers are treated by Premiere and AE?

Thanks all,
Chris

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Markers randomly multiply on import
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:22:47 pm

I'm confused. What format and codec are you "exporting" from Premiere? Is there a reason you don't just choose File>Import>Premiere Pro Project when you are in After Effects? It'll bring a sequence in from Premiere as a composition with markers and everything.

Also, what version number of AE and Premiere are you using (down to the last decimal)?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris OlsenRe: Markers randomly multiply on import
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:31:24 pm

The reason I'm not taking the prproj file is that this way, I don't need all the clips that the project depends on. The file I get is an MPEG (so, not uncompressed, as I previously suggested), encoded in H.264.

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 8.0.1 (21), the 2014.0.1 release.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Markers randomly multiply on import
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:48:08 pm

In AE, you can easily remove all of the footage that's not being used with one command. Not only will you maintain quality because you're using the original video files, but you will have all of the head and tail of each cut in case you need to adjust something (plus, having all the cuts on their own layers helps out enormously for many tasks).

And MPEG video of any kind is a bad idea as an intermediate file. You are introducing compression and a drop in file quality. If you must render out an intermediate file, pick a proper production codec.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris OlsenRe: Markers randomly multiply on import
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:51:00 pm

Okay, thank you for the great advice. I'll make this adjustment!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]