ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How To Extend all clips in a comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suresh KavanHow To Extend all clips in a comp?
by on Sep 13, 2014 at 8:28:27 pm

I have a comp with 30 odd layers in it.
Many of the layers contain video footage that are set to music.
It is 1:07:14 long and originally built for 145BPM soundtrack.
I now wish to use a 160 BPM soundtrack, and need to extend each layer by a factor of 160/145 or 1.103448276 or said another way, the entire comp now needs to be 1:22:00 long and all the layers within should stretch and move their start points accordingly.

Just plopping this comp into a new comp and Time Stretching will extend the comp but will stretch the timing/frame rate of all the child layers, rather than stretching their duration and leaving the frame rate of the clips alone!

H-E-L-P. There has to be a way to do this.

s.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: How To Extend all clips in a comp?
by on Sep 14, 2014 at 6:49:00 am

Firstly, wouldn't changing the BPM from 145 - 160 actually shorten the length of the song (unless you used a completely different song or added to the original). So really the math should be flipped 145/160 (original divided by the new value) to get .90625 or just a little over a minute? (I'm assuming you were going by time code standards 1min:07sec:14frames)

In any case, assuming the video clips have enough footage to lengthen them out, then be sure to go into your composition settings and adjust your duration there. If you have made precomps, you'll likely need to adjust those separately. After that it is just highlight and drag the edges out (which you would need to also do for each separate precomp).

However, if you are literally trying to adjust clips that are finite, you will not be able to increase the duration of the video without a time stretch or by lowering the frame rate of the comp. Example: 30 fps video track could be stretched for twice as long over a 15fps comp, or stretch to be 15fps over a 30 fps comp. You cannot increase footage that isn't there.

Hope that is what you needed.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmediagroup.com

Return to posts index

Suresh KavanRe: How To Extend all clips in a comp?
by on Sep 15, 2014 at 3:29:55 pm

1. You are quite right. I am a dolt. 160 BPM will result in a shorter comp!
2. If I shorten the comp length in composition settings, it does indeed shorten the comp, but as far as I can see, it does nothing to the layers/precomps within - except for cutting off those that sit at the end of the timeline.

Here's a mini version of what I would like to do:

Let's pretend my comp is 1:00:00 long and I wish to halve its length to 00:30:00.

Now let's pretend I have 3 layers. 2 are 30 seconds length and one is 20 seconds length. Layer 2 overlaps layer one by 10 seconds and layer 3 overlaps layer 2 by 10 seconds. Each overlap has a cross dissolve. When I shrink the comp, I would hope that:

1. The 30 second layers become 15 second duration (framerate/video speed unchanged) and the 20 second layer becomes 10 secs.

2. The overlap (and cross dissolve effect) also shrinks from 10 secs to 5 secs.

How do I do this? With 3 layers, and a simple 50% ratio, I could do it quickly by hand, but with 30 layers and a ration of 0.90625 - this quickly becomes unworkable!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How To Extend all clips in a comp?
by on Sep 14, 2014 at 1:24:13 pm

Check out .

Displays a palette with controls for changing the size, pixel aspect ratio, duration, frame rate, and motion blur of the selected compositions, and all nested compositions (pre-comp layers) in it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2014 at 3:31:29 pm

Check out .

Check out what? script name missing!!!

thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: How To Extend all clips in a comp?
by on Sep 15, 2014 at 6:34:28 pm

John's describing what sounds like RD_compsetter, but that just extends the length of the layers and comps, not actually shifting their IN or OUT points. In case you're interested, here's Jeff Almasol's website where he's giving away all of his scripts in exhcange for your giving to any cause of your choosing: http://www.redefinery.com/ae/rd_scripts/

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2014 at 7:54:58 pm

could an approach be to:

1. embed my comp in a new comp and time stretch down to target length (1:01:06) or a ratio of 0.90625.
2. take all source videos and slow them down by this ratio (creating a new comp for each).
3. Use these slowed down comps as the sources in the target comp.

The logic here is that my slowed down source videos would then get sped up back to their true speed, while the layers and keyframes would all be scaled appropriately?

If this could work - is there a short cut to doing this other than creating 20 new comps and applying a timestretch to each?

s.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: How To Extend all clips in a comp?
by on Sep 16, 2014 at 4:56:45 pm

As this point I'd just retime it by hand. Some things you just have to do that way.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]