ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trapcode Particular Animate Motion Path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan WarnerTrapcode Particular Animate Motion Path
by on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:44:25 pm

Is there a way to animate the "Motion Path" Particular uses or blend it from from "Motion Path A" to "Motion Path B"?

Goal: Particular "liquid" traveling inside hose path as the hose path changes shape over time.

Or, put another way… I want to
1) move "liquid" spheres along a custom "hose" path shape, and then
2) change the shape of the hose path over time.

I've figured out step 1. I created a light and animated that along the custom path I'm using for the hose path shape layer. I then set the Motion Path (in Physics->Air) to be that light. I've got everything flowing nicely along the hose.

However, I can't seem to figure out step 2. Is there a way (with Particular) to animate the shape of the "Motion Path" reference in the Physics->Air section?

I could probably create a C4D solution for this but my client needs edibility within AE (CS6!).

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Trapcode Particular Animate Motion Path
by on Sep 13, 2014 at 1:35:53 pm

This tutorial might offer a solution. How To Make A Wiggling Cord From Particles

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jonathan WarnerRe: Trapcode Particular Animate Motion Path
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 3:32:12 pm

Sorry it took me so long to respond, been a crazy week…

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately that tutorial you recommended wasn't what I was after (though it was informative). I really needed to flow my liquid inside of a specific hose shape that morphed between "before" and "after".

In the end, I decided to precompose a long thin rectangle of particles going straight. Then I brute forced that rectangle into shape using Mesh Warp. Luckily, you didn't need to see that the particles were really "circular" (there were so many it was more of a continuous flow) so you could not tell how much I distorted things. This method worked for this shot.

Of course, I'd still love to be able to shoot particles along a specific path of my choosing and have that path change shape over time…

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved