ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Camera orbit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom AnderssonAE Camera orbit
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 12:01:54 pm

Hi pros!
My brain is literally boiling due to this orbit-issue I have, and it`s such a basic problem:

I have a camera that I parented to a null (camCTRL). I want the camera to move towards various objects in my scene. The cam should move to object A, orbit around 360 to sort of examine it and then move to to object B, orbit around and then move to object C etc...
Problem is that when I move the camera (with the camCTRL-null), the point of interest doesn`t stick to the object to orbit (Y-rotation on camCTRL).

I want the POI to be separated from the cam for individual control. and no matter where I the move the POI, the camera should always be facing it.
I tried to make a separate POI-null , and put this script in cams POI-field:

L = thisComp.layer("POInull");

...but it doesn`t keep the POI in place when orbiting around, though it faces the object correctly.
Any clever genious out there? :)

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: AE Camera orbit
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 4:08:41 pm

What about using a rigged camera like this:

Return to posts index

Tom AnderssonRe: AE Camera orbit
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 4:43:45 pm

Thanks Brian!
That`s a neat solution!
The problem with this setup is that I don`t have the
poi on a separate null to pinpoint to an object. The overall motion looks much more elegant if the camera is "interested" in the object as it moves towards it from the side.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Camera orbit
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 5:50:26 pm

The alternative is to turn the POI off, and animate the rig's rotation to see what you want to see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: AE Camera orbit
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 6:09:57 pm

Not sure if this is what you intend but adding a second null for POI and modifying the expression for Camera POI might do the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved