ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working in 2014

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex KuzelickiKeyboard Shortcuts Not Working in 2014
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 1:25:03 pm

I've been using the KeyEd Up script to change a few keyboard shortcuts in AE - has always worked a treat and my workflow has become much more efficient as a result.

But, for some reason, in AE CC 2014 the changes won't apply. I've racked my brain on this for a few hours now and can't find a solution... but I do have a clue, that someone (smarter than me) may be able to help with.

The process to get KeyEd Up working in AE is kinda annoying (I'll spell it out step-by-step below) but the final step is to direct it to the AE Shortcuts file here:

Users/'Your name'/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/'the latest version of After Effects' Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt

The last listed version of AE I have here is 13.0.1... but I checked my latest CC 2014 version of AE and it is

Ahh, so that leads me to think that the AE CC 2014 Shortcuts file is now placed somewhere else! That would make sense as to why KeyEd Up isn't working properly because my changes are being applied to the 13.0.1 Shortcuts.txt and not the one.

So... does anyone know where the 2014 ( Shortcuts.txt file is now kept? Or, have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

PS - Here is how I've used KeyEd Up in the past. Might come in handy for anyone using previous (than versions of After Effects:

First go get the KeyEd Up script at the Adobe website.

Then put it in Macintosh HD > Adobe After Effects CC > Scripts

Then, because your Library is (by default) hidden you need to tell your computer for it to be visible all the time. To do this go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Terminal and type in:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

(* A temporary way to access your Library is to go to Macintosh HD > Users > 'Your User name' and hold down the Option key whilst selecting the Go menu. The Library will be visible as long as you hold down the Option key. BUT if you've entered the above characters into the Terminal you won't have to worry about doing this, as the Library will now be visible at all times)

Now open After Effects CC and go to File > Scripts > KeyEd Up.jsx. When you try to run it you will get a message that says something like 'Could not find the shortcut file at '/Users/alex/Library/Preferences/Adobe?After Effects 12.2/Adobe After Effects 12.2 Shortcuts'. Maybe it hasn't been created yet? Maybe try restarting After Effects, and running the script again.'

This basically means that AE can't see the file where the shortcuts are stored because it's called something other than what it expects. And what it's actually called is: 12.2 Adobe After Effects 12.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt.

Anyway, hit OK and the script will ask you to Locate the After Effects Shortcuts file. Direct it here:

Users/alex/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/12.2 Adobe After Effects 12.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt

* Note: 12.2 is just for this example. It may be a higher version eg. 12.2.1, 13.0.1, etc.

BAM! Finally you should get access to your shortcut editor inside After Effects, by going to File > Scripts > KeyEd Up.jsx

Return to posts index

Alex KuzelickiFound the Answer!
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 2:10:36 pm

So, I kept looking around... on the Cow, and found this solution.

KeyEd Up is obsolete in CC 2014. To change a keyboard shortcut do this:

Go to File > Preferences > General and hit the 'Reveal Preferences in Finder' button at the bottom.

From the various preferences files there, open the Adobe After Effects 13.0 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt

Scroll down to the command you want to assign a keyboard shortcut to and simply type it in (being careful to stick to the same formatting as everything else there).

For the keyboard shortcuts I needed this worked fine but I'm not sure what would happen if you typed in something that conflicted with one of AE's standard keyboard commands.

Maybe someone might know? And then how to get around it?

(I know people will think "But why would you want to change a standard keyboard command" but everyone has a different workflow and sometimes certain keys in AE are just never used and would be better off assigned to things you actually do use)

Wouldn't hurt to know how to change them without breaking anything.

Return to posts index

David EellsRe: Found the Answer!
by on Oct 8, 2014 at 2:15:36 pm

Hey Alex

Thanks for researching this. I'm not using KeyedUp, but I'm trying to modify a shortcut by editing the "Adobe After Effects 12.2 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt" file directly.

I want to swap "GoToTIme" (something I would use al the time) with "Group" (something I would never use).

So when I carefully edit the text, save the file and invoke After Effects, I not only get an error message (After Effects detected an unexpected value in your shortcuts file), but it remembers the original values.

I'm totally stumped. Any insight?

Return to posts index

Stuart FleisherRe: Found the Answer!
by on Nov 18, 2014 at 3:32:36 pm

David -

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm also trying to change the mostly useless "Group" hotkey to reveal the graph editor, but I'm getting the same error you got.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2014 at 5:35:48 pm

No joy here. I'm stuck with shift-opt-j.

Return to posts index

Stuart FleisherRe: Found the Answer!
by on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:31:35 pm

A day of digging, and I found the solution! (I really hate toggling the graph editor manually)

Turns out some versions of text edit default to "smart quotes" - which are not unicode safe. Pretty easy to turn them off in the text edit -> edit -> substitutions menu:

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2014 at 3:02:28 pm

Awesome job!

Sorry it took you a whole day.

But yay! Thanks for sharing!

And BTW, i went to the Adobe site and put in a feature request for a gui for the purpose of changing shortucts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved