ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

chroma key not even

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Schaeferchroma key not even
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 7:54:53 pm

Hey all;

I've had to improvise with a medical photo blue background and use it as a blue screen. My chroma is uneven, with reasonable blues at the sides which I can enhance and key out. But the center had a white light shining from above and that area is a light blue that just won't key out. It seems reasonable to me that you can put multiple keys on a clip: put two keylight effects on one clip, or copy the clip and put a different keylight on each clip, one for each color range. What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: chroma key not even
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 8:58:36 pm

It seems to me like it should be working. I've used multiple keys on a shot with no issues in the past. Can you post a screenshot of your shot and Keylight settings?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: chroma key not even
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:28:24 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:46:48 pm

Without knowing what the shot looks like, it's tough to say for sure.

But you might be able to use Rotobrush to get rid of the hot spot on the blue background. If you choose that option, make sure you know Rotobrush inside & out before you start: it's not in the l3east bit intuitive to use.

My experience with Keylight & blown-out backgrounds doesn't inspire confidence: Keylight will add noise to the subject. Which is why I mention Rotobrush.

I feel for you -- trying to fix a poorly-lit key background is a royal pain, oftentimes darn near imposssible to correct.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: chroma key not even
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:14:39 pm

Procedural keying is done all the time. Perhaps some of these resources [link] will help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kelly SchaeferRe: chroma key not even
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 4:17:58 pm

Thanx guys. I finally waded through it, it took a few days and lots of research. I created multiple layers for the problem areas and made my way through the Keylight options and added simple chokers, and chose a background that was a very close color scheme to the makeshift "blue screen" I had used, which was really a photo backdrop. The blue background won't work every time of course but I got a lot of experience out of this one and if I keep doing them before I forget what I did this time I will get better at it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved