ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Extruded Text Shadow Color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth KaiserExtruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:38:57 pm

Hi all,

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

First off, if this thread already exists, I apologize. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything about the color of the extruded sides on a text layer.

My question is this: I have two text layers that are both extruded. The settings are identical but the sides for the top word ("caucee") are clearly a shadowed version of the original text color. For the bottom words ("the world of enteractive entertainment") the sides are black. Both layers use the same lights and have the same settings. I can't seem to figure out how to make the sides of the bottom text display as shadowed versions of the original color.

So far to try to remedy the problem, I have moved the lights around and I have played with the z-axis, but neither have changed the color of the sides whatsoever.

I really appreciate any input and if this already exists somewhere, please point me in that direction. Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Extruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:53:18 pm

try adding an ambient light.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Extruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 8:37:59 pm

Are the reflection settings the same for both layers?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Extruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 3:22:17 am

Try what Kevin and Brian have suggested - to copy ALL Material Options from one layer to another, you only have to select a layer's Material Options header, then select the target layer's similar header to paste.

BTW, if you like working with ray-traced text in AE, take a look at presets showcase for an up-coming product of mine -

Here's a video showcasing a few of the presets that will ship with the product, TypeGEMsRT

- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Elizabeth KaiserRe: Extruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 1:36:22 pm

Thanks for your help guys! I tried adding the ambient light (which I then pre-comped so it wouldn't light "Caucee" as well) but that actually didn't seem to separate the front plane from the extruded sides. It just turned it into one big blob of blue.

I checked the reflection settings and they indeed match one another.

Next I copied the materials section from "caucee" and pasted to the bottom layer---that didn't seem to do anything at all.

Lastly (and I don't know how I didn't think of this from the very beginning) I just duplicated the "caucee" layer and changed the type. Voila!

I still wish I had some idea why it wasn't working correctly, but at least I got my end result. Thanks for taking the time to help out! It was greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Extruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:48:31 pm

Built in after effects 3d, what a pain in the rear it is. You need a back light (play with lights color). the caucee is preventing enough light to reach bottom titles. Maybe pre comp each title separately with duplicate lights/cameras/actions...etc

Return to posts index

Elizabeth KaiserRe: Extruded Text Shadow Color
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 6:06:30 pm

Actually, after duplicating the "caucee" layer and entering the new text, it worked like a charm. I didn't need to add another light or change any settings. I obviously changed something in the settings that I can't seem to locate. I don't typically work in with the extrusion settings, so it is must be a user error. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved