ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anti-aliasing of Obscuration Layer (Particular)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin ChotteraAnti-aliasing of Obscuration Layer (Particular)
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:35:03 pm

According to Google, this is a limitation of Particular, but I could only find discussions from 2010 and was wondering if there was a fix/work around now.

Basically the anti-aliasing is terrible when my pre-comped text-layer-as-obscuration-layer is over or inside the particles.

It might be the DOF, the light, I don't know.

Does anyone?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Anti-aliasing of Obscuration Layer (Particular)
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:08:30 pm

Turn off DOF and see how it looks. I'll bet it's not nearly as noticeable.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Pravin ChotteraRe: Anti-aliasing of Obscuration Layer (Particular)
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:36:53 pm

Interestingly enough, DOF doesn't seem to play a role:

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Anti-aliasing of Obscuration Layer (Particular)
by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:24:44 pm

if you go to redgiant.com you can probably find a tutorial on this (i thought aharon rabinowitz had done one years ago here at the cow, but i can't find it).

but, essentially what you want to do is not use the obscuration layer and instead split your particle system into 2 layers (a front system and a back system) and sandwich your text layer in between.

so duplicate your particle system layer, position your text layer in between both systems and hide the 'back' particle layer (the one bellow the text layer).

in the front particle system, twirl down the visibility properties and adjust the 'far vanish' and 'far fade' properties until you have the only the particles that should be in front of the text layer.

then turn on the back particle system and set the near vansih property of the back particle system to the far vanish value of the front system, and do the same for the near fade property.

now the text layer should appear in the middle of your particle system(s) without the aliasing issue.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:37:13 pm

This one, Kevin? http://www.redgiant.com/videos/redgianttv/item/16/

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:41:32 pm

Interesting solution Kevin. But what if I wanted my text layer to move through z-space? Would I have to keyframe (or link using expressions) the near/far vanish of my particles with the position of my text?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:50:47 pm

Yes. I believe that's covered in the tutorial I linked, but, if not, yes.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:54:35 pm

Nifty. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:57:45 pm

You could actually use expressions (again, I think this is in that tutorial, but in case it's not...) to automatically figure out the distance between the camera and your obscuration layer.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Anti-aliasing of Obscuration Layer (Particular)
by on Sep 10, 2014 at 11:08:54 am

The 'Elementary' script on aescripts.com might help here. Although it was originally designed for use with Element3D, the 'split' function also works with Particular (and some other 3D plug-ins) and makes it easy to create a duplicate of the particle layer and animate the split point using a null.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]