ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

precomp adjusting time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Camacho Guerrero
precomp adjusting time
on Sep 9, 2014 at 2:35:49 pm

Hello,

I have been working with After effects for years and never I found a way to solve this.

Sometimes working in a root comp I pre comp some elements, later in the root comp I realised that the duration is short enough. If i want to adjust the duration I need to enter in the pre comp and open the setting of that pre comp and change the duration typing it. Pretty annoying.

Sometimes this could be fixed by changing the duration value in the sliders in the root comp, but other times not, for example if there is an animation in the beginning of this pre comp and i want to keep frame holding after finishing, changing the Duration in the slider will change the time of my animation, which is not what I want.

I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: precomp adjusting time
on Sep 9, 2014 at 3:36:28 pm

[Victor Camacho Guerrero] "I hope this makes sense."

I'm not understanding your post at all actually. What sliders are you talking about?
What is your issue? Are you asking about ways to change the length of compositions? There is only one way; you have to adjust the composition's settings. You can adjust how much of a precomp is included in another composition in the same way you would control any other layer element.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:07:13 pm

Hello Michael sorry for my english.

I attach an screenshot of the slider in the timeline I am talking about it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Gllf_5zEWwY/VA8j8gHWjJI/AAAAAAAAAFE/HFOv...

Yes I want to change the length of the pre comps. Right now the only way is entering in the pre comp and change the duration of the pre comp by entering in the settings of that pre comp, this for me it is pretty troublesome. I attach another screenshot of what is.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z0re_hHxNAg/VA8j8cKG4hI/AAAAAAAAAFI/o2gh...

I wonder if this is only the only way??

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 9, 2014 at 5:00:23 pm

Right, you can change a precomp's duration just like any other footage item.

However, like any other footage item, you can't extend it past what's been created.

I understand your frustration with not being able to extend it further without going into the precomp and adjusting the comp settings.
But how would you like it to behave? Remember, if you were able to make a precomp longer, what would happen to the contents of the precomp? Each layer in there has a specified duration. Even if you could extend the composition's duration, what would happen to all the layers inside? Even if you could extend the duration of a precomp, you would still need to go inside and adjust the duration of the layers.

You can file a feature request with Adobe [link] and let them know how you would like it to behave.
For example, if you were able to extend a precomp, perhaps all the layers that run right up to the end of the precomp are extended as far as they can be inside the precomp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Sep 10, 2014 at 10:44:34 am

Thanks Michael,

then it is as I thought. It is pretty inconvenient the truth said.

Thanks for that.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Carlos Arandia
on Feb 4, 2017 at 2:14:54 pm

Hey there,
Have been some time that this post is inactive but just wanted to let you guys know that there is a script that can help to set multiple comp time and settings without going in each of them.

here it's: http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_CompSetter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]