ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Resize to match and center on canvas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier ParedesResize to match and center on canvas?
by on Sep 7, 2014 at 3:08:19 pm
Last Edited By Xavier Paredes on Sep 7, 2014 at 3:09:03 pm

Do any of your folks know of a way to:

a. Resize a video so it matches the height of another.
b. Resize a video so it matches the width of another.

I have a large job that requires me to do this with small videos. To be more specific I have about 400 ultrasonogram videos that I'm supposed to layout like this. Problem is I not all videos are the same aspect ratio (some are taller, some wider) and I want to align everything nicely which means matching their heights or widths (depending on the case).

Another question:

Is there a way –for example– to select the top 2 videos (while maintaing the horizontal distance between them) and center them in the canvas? I tried precomping but it doesn't work. If I remember correctly, this is possible to do in photoshop if you group objects.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Resize to match and center on canvas?
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:39:31 am

I would use Adobe Media Encoder to resize and render (loss-less codec) the different videos to the size you need. Define a custom preset (or several, depending on your needs) and then just drop all your rendered videos that need to be resized into a watch folder. Bring the final results in your AE comp

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Resize to match and center on canvas?
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:34:06 pm

To match height or width I would import every video and select the tallest one (or widest) and precomp leaving attributes then import everything else to it and use the Transform -> fit to comp height command.

If you want to crop whats left off canvas you should precomp each layer moving attributes or else just copy/paste them back.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Resize to match and center on canvas?
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 5:05:29 pm

Here's an old-school, lots-of-layers way to do it.

Make a solid in the size and aspect ratio you want to use. Duplicate this solid a LOT, and use the solids as track mattes for your video layers. You can parent the video-solid pair together to make it easy to move them around on the screen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved