ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Photoshop Image Imported As Footage Disappears

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McClellandPhotoshop Image Imported As Footage Disappears
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 11:11:43 pm

I created a Photoshop file with a handful of layers, each being an image of a different part of my body. In AE, I'm learning how to animate with parenting and properly placed anchor points.

I imported the PS file using the footage option and choosing the layer I want. I repeated this for each of the body part layers. Once in AE, I precomped each of them by dragging them over the precomp button at the bottom of the project panel.

All of my imported files were set to a footage length of 30 seconds, which I soon determined wasn't long enough. I changed the length in each of their comp settings. It worked fine for all of them except one. So my animation has me flying around flapping my arms and kicking my legs, and suddenly my body disappears.

The body layer is the parent of many other layers, and the "grand" parent of a few more. Not sure if this matters. The body composition settings show a length of 3 minutes at the same frame rate as the others. It's when I go 1 frame past the 30 second mark, its original length, that it disappears in the comp window. When I select it in the timeline panel, the dots appear, as does the motion path. It just isn't visible.

I've moved the layer to the top of the list, the bottom, etc. all to no avail.

I've also reimported it and immediately gave the new one a 3 minute length. That one does not disappear.

So, why did that layer disappear when the others didn't? And is there a way to replace the source of the precomped layer that disappears with that of the layer that does not disappear? I'd like to avoid repeating the animation and keyframing efforts.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Photoshop Image Imported As Footage Disappears
by on Sep 5, 2014 at 12:26:32 am

Posting some screenshots or the AEP file might help, but it sounds like your problem is inside the precomp. Perhaps the original layer inside the precomp is ending?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dan McClellandRe: Photoshop Image Imported As Footage Disappears
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:48:46 pm

Wow, that was a long delay for me to reply. My apologies, had to suddenly go out of town.

I'm embedding an image with 2 screen shots. The first shows the layers with one of them selected. The second only shows the selection handles, while the layers are invisible.

All of these layers are imported PS files (CS5). I am not using any 3D in this comp. I precomped all of them, by dragging them to the Create A New Composition button at the bottom of the project panel. So, they all became comps with the same duration as the "master" comp they are in. It was originally 30 seconds.

When I changed the main comp to 1:30, I also changed the length of each individual precomp to 1:30. And I dragged their out markers to the 1:30 mark in the timeline. I also tried Alt ]. It seems these precomp layers will do everything they need to do in the lengthened composition (from 30 seconds to 1:30) except show themselves. As soon as I move one frame beyond 30 seconds, the layers disappear.

Return to posts index

Dan McClellandRe: Photoshop Image Imported As Footage Disappears
by on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:56:50 pm

I figured it out. What a newb I am.

I was reading (or re-reading) the manual and noted an important factoid. Compositions each contain their own timelines. So, it struck me that I should lengthen each individual precomp to 1:30, then return to my master comp. And behold, there they were.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved