ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is the difference between an objects path position, object transform position and transform position?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake WarnerWhat is the difference between an objects path position, object transform position and transform position?
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 7:31:46 pm

I am new to After Effects and am scratching my head as to why there are three different options for changing settings like position for example. I was hoping someone could clarify the difference between the three. So far, I can't tell that there is any as I can change the position of an object from "path", "transform path", or "transform" and the position changes the same.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What is the difference between an objects path position, object transform position and transform position?
by on Sep 5, 2014 at 12:38:28 am

All layers in Ae have a few intrinsic transform properties, including position. Animating this property will move the entire layer.

All paths in Ae define points in a space relative to the layer they're on. You can animate paths, including transforming their position, without moving the layer. You can have multiple different paths on a layer and animate them separately.

On shape layers, paths and other content can be organized into groups. A group may transformed; any transformations applied to the group will affect all the paths within the group, but again will not affect the actual position of the layer.

So essentially, there is a hierarchy: first the layer, then groups, then paths within the group. Transformations are possible at any level and affect everything downstream, but nothing upstream.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]