ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Control time with beats?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneControl time with beats?
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:24:28 am

What is the easiest way to play with slowing down and/or strobing the the play back speed of my video - to a beat?

More or less I'd like to:
First play my audio track, and hit "0" on the numeric to mark my beats (which change over time, not just one simple rhythm)

Then I'd like to essentially Time Remap my video, so it the first beat holds on frame 1, beat 2 frame 2, etc...

Then I'd like to be able to adjust a variety of sliders that change things like-
Source Jump Rate 5 --- beat 2 frame 5, beat 3 frame 10...
Sub Beats 4 --- each beat gets broken into 4 beats, which then jump by the Source Jump Rate
Play Rate --- independent of how far each jump is,I'd like to then be able to control if it just sits, or plays at a variable rate

Then I'd like to add fades and flashes and "what not" on some of the strobes as well...

Any tips or suggestions on the best way to set something like this up? Better yet a scene file with it already all set up, and a chocolate bar.

I'm also curious the best hot-key workflow to quickly jump in time and create new numeric valued key frames in your selected channel, all on the keyboard?
I know the page up/downs and shifts
What about jump to next/prev marker? (on a different layer?)
Create new keyframe here and let me type in its value?
and so on...

Thanks for any help, could be fun in the end!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Control time with beats?
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:12:51 pm

Check out this tutorial:
In it, markers are used to drive expressions to get flashes. You would need to adapt that to your project, of course, but it should start you off in the right direction.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved