ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Live scrubbing memory leak

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Salter
Live scrubbing memory leak
on Sep 3, 2014 at 10:42:35 pm

Hey Guys,

Found so much good advice and great solutions on this forum over the years - thought I'd finally post with an issue I'm having.

I create a lot of hype reels which necessitate synching motion graphics with audio. For that reason, I spend a LOT of my time in After FX live scrubbing (is that the right term?) so I can hear the soundtrack while I'm looking at my animation.

Specifically, I'm talking about holding down the COMMAND key (on a mac) while moving the playhead through the timeline.

When I do this on my MBPro, a few things happen-

1. The first time I do it there's a sudden initial lag and I have to wait for about 7-8 seconds before it After Effects kicks in and becomes responsive again.

2. Over time, the scrubbing gets laggier and laggier, and the video preview gets laggier and laggier until I'm forced to close After FX and reopen it again, at which point it goes back to normal (for about another 10 minutes). Like it's a memory leak or something.

This is effectively how I've been using after effects for the last year, and it can get quite crippling with larger projects. My questions are:

1. IS THIS NORMAL? Does everyone else experience this?

2. AM I DOING IT WRONG? Is there a more "proper" way to preview afx with audio without rendering a whole chunk of my composition or live scrubbing?

3. IS IT MY MACHINE? I'm using a pretty high-spec MBPro Retina, so I'm wondering what the chances are my mac's just not up to it!?

Mac Specs:

MB Pro Retina - 2.6 Ghz Intel Core 7 / 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 ram.

Thanks in advance!
-Rick

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Live scrubbing memory leak
on Sep 3, 2014 at 11:42:11 pm

This is a known bug in Ae CC 2014 (v13).

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/07/warning-ram-preview-needs-2-or-...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 4, 2014 at 5:32:18 am

Walter is correct.

I've verified a fix in an internal build, and we intend to have an update out with this fix (and several others) in about a month.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:15:07 am

The memory leak with audio scrubbing is listed as fixed in the upcoming update:
http://adobe.ly/1pFGGRE

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Richard Salter
on Sep 9, 2014 at 12:21:05 am

Thanks for the updates guys.

Amazing that a bug that makes the product effectively unusable is taking so long to update. In the interim I've purchased Apple Motion - which is a fraction of the cost, and aside from plugin support so far appears to be a superior product in every meaningful way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]