ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Request for Rotoscoping Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy KeenRequest for Rotoscoping Workflow
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:24:24 pm

Hello! I have been given the opportunity to do some freelance work doing rotoscope. I'm excited about this opportunity, but need to learn how to do the rotoscoping! I have been watching A LOT of tutorials to teach myself the basics. I do have a little background in AE- and took a class for it in college (CS3! lol)- I'm also a pretty quick learner, especially when I have a goal! All of that to say, because of the complex nature of roto, and the multitude of ways to do one thing (as most Adobe products boast)
I would LOVE an idea of a workflow that one or more of you might use if you were in my situation.

I'm also confused about the pros and cons of using the rotobrush tool in AE vs using mocha and if they can be used in tandem nicely or if you are suppose to use one or the other.

Here's what I have to work with:
- Using Adobe AE CC
- I get a JPG sequence to work with
- I am to deliver the image sequence back, as B&W masks

Here's 3 frames/images of the 85 frame sequence that I was given. I am to roto out the man in the foreground, who does a cool ninja-y flippy thingy. I was told that if I can roto this dude out, I can do almost anything they will need in the future (cause this is difficult).

If anyone is willing to give me their best guess at a workflow, I would truly appreciate it and I'd be happy to give more details, if needed. I expect to have to research different steps you may give and am happy to do so, you don't need to give me the basics of a step. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: quest for Rotoscoping Workflow
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:30:27 pm

Step 1: Learn mocha
Step 2: get frustrated
Step 3: end up with roto masks that chatter
Step 4: blame the computer
Step 5: accept it is user error
Step 6: keep doing it until its clean
Step 7: realize you never understood Mocha in the first place
Step 8: eureka moment
Step 9: done

My Work:

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: quest for Rotoscoping Workflow
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 3:45:22 pm

That is a bit cynical way to look at it. There are many companies around the world that specialize in roto and are using mocha for this task. In general mocha will be much faster than manual roto. That said, it is best to understand mocha by watching some tutorials before jumping in blind.

For in-depth and complex roto, you will not want to use the rotobrush as there is little ability for artist intervention when it does not work. For most roto jobs, you as the artist need to make the decisions, but there are advanced techniques that include combining keying and masking to save time.

I would highly recommend watching some of the videos at Imagineer Systems and start with this video series:

Good luck.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved