ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clarke FlippoTrouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:03:05 pm

I have an Illustator file with multiple layers that I need to import into AE. I've released all layers to sequence inside Illustrator and I've been importing into AE as Composition - retain layer sizes. All AE does is bring in the ai file and no layers. From what I know, these are the correct steps. I even made sure my ai file was RGB. Please help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:26:45 am

Are you sure that you have multiple layers in Illustrator? Some folks get confused between objects and layers in Illustrator and have multiple objects on a single layer, rather than having multiple layers. The Release To Layers command is useful for preparing Illustrator files for After Effects:
http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/layers.html#release_items_to_separ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 29, 2014 at 5:41:07 pm

While saving, make sure "Create compatible pdf file" is checked (something like that since mine is in another language).

Return to posts index

Jacqueline GreffRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Sep 5, 2015 at 1:34:51 am

I had an Illustrator file I was trying to import into After Effects and it wasn't working. I had unchecked "Create compatible pdf file" not realizing how important it was. Works perfectly again. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Clarke FlippoRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 29, 2014 at 7:22:00 pm

Problem solved! I was unaware that when you release layers to sequence a top level layer is still present, which you must delete for AE to read the other layers. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Joanne LedigerRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 3:02:21 pm

Where do you delete this top level layer? I release to layers and everything is separated, bu I bring it into AE as a comp (retain layers sizes) but all I see is the one object inlayered...

Return to posts index

Clarke FlippoRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 4:15:03 pm

In the Layer panel in Illustrator there is a layer at the very top of all your layers which groups them all together. Highlight all layers below this one and move them out of the group. Then delete the group layer. This will allow AE to read your illustrator layers.

Return to posts index

Joanne LedigerRe: Trouble importing Illustrator layers to AE
by on Aug 6, 2015 at 5:13:23 pm

Thanks Clarke!!! That was it:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]