ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dolly Track Removal with photo plates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic ValentinoDolly Track Removal with photo plates
by on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:13:41 pm

Hi guys,

first post after reading a lot here the last days. Hope I'm doing everything right ;).

First, I'm using AE CS6 on a Mac 10.9.4.
Second, I'm not a post guy. Since our VFX artist pulled out and left us alone I'm now forced to fix this shot myself. So please go easy on me ;)

I've got a dolly shot where I have to remove the tracks. The camera moves backwards through an aisle. I've read multiple posts here plus googled a lot. Two videos helped to have a good starting point: (from this thread: ) (from this thread: )

So, I exported the last frame of the shot, removed the tracks in Photoshop, imported it back to AE, tracked the footage in Mocha, exported the corner pin data and applied it onto the clean plate. So far so good, but unfortunately the plate itself scales enormously so that the plate gets obvious (see attached images).

To minimize the scaling I did multiple plates (basically every 15 frames) so that the scaling won't be an issue anymore and blended them over. For every 14 frames it's fine, but at each transition the masks/layers get visible.

Ross also gave me some hints, but exporting the tracking data as a Mocha shape and applying as a mask didn't work out because the image is stuck for over half the time and suddenly changes back to the original dolly track footage with a weird mask halfway applied on the tracks covering them and the other half revealing them.

I really appreciate your help if you can guide me through this to get a clean result. It can be a complete different approach as well as long as I can do it with AE or PS. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved