ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duik problems? I have the solutions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben PetersonDuik problems? I have the solutions
by on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:11:34 am
Last Edited By Ben Peterson on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:12:25 am

Duik support pages are all in French so if you dont speak it you are pretty much left to your own devices. There are a couple of 'how to' videos around that are helpful but nothing for when you encounter bugs etc.

So I have been struggling with DUIK over the last month but I recently stumbled upon the solution to my problems so I thought I would create this post so that others who are having the same issues might see it and not have to tear out their hair trying to figure out what is wrong like I did.

The problems I encountered are as follows -
1. Wont create controllers:
If for some reason you need to undo the rig and start over, you have to delete all the expressions on the layers, delete the zero objects that DUIK creates and then you also have to delete the controllers because for some reason once the expressions and zero objects are gone DUIK will not make an new IK chain from the existing controllers.
However, once you delete the controllers, for some reason DUIK will not create new ones. You can keep clicking that button but nothing will happen.

The solution
You have to change the name of the comp and then it will create new ones. I know this sounds simple but trust me, nobody online for over a month could tell me this and I only really stumbled upon it by accident.

2. Controllers in wrong place:
So you got the controllers happening again but now its making them in the wrong place.

The solution
If you have moved the root layer of your puppet from its original place DUIK will continue to create the controller in the old place so make sure you start with the root layer at position zero and then it should be ok.

Return to posts index

Rob LoganRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:16:29 pm

I too have run into occasional bugs with this script. I love DUIK but even with Auto-rig it can be a handful to use. I just got finished rigging a fairly complicated model only to find that none of the controller parameters can be changed and every limb is stuck in auto-stretch mode.

I'm thinking it might be a bug in the boning process. Animator Daniel Geis has talked about how he bones only one pin at a time in an effort to avoid DUIK problems. I was more ambitious and tried to bone multiple puppet pins at once... which may have caused the problem.

Do you know of a quick method to easily de-rig everything and start over? Even deleting the bones and controllers still leaves a bunch of expressions connected to each puppet pin.

Return to posts index

Tom HawcroftRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 12:45:57 pm

Hi guys,

I had a weird issue when rigging. It's on a segmented puppet, and whether I IK the limbs separately or do the whole thing via auto-rig the leg pieces distort whenever I move them with the controller. Visibly squashed/skewed around 90 dgs, and back to normal at the original position. I made sure NOT to enable stretch...

So there's Thigh > Calf > Ankle < Toe

And the controller on the ankle. Any idea what might be happening here?

Return to posts index

Rob LoganRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 1:58:32 pm

You probably need to use the Puppet Starch tool. Starch is essential in avoiding the 'rubber hose' look.

You may also need to change the IK Orientation setting for each controller connected to an arm or leg. It determines which way the knee or elbow bends.

Lastly, do you have the toe pin parented correctly to the ankle?

Return to posts index

Tom HawcroftRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Sep 18, 2014 at 2:27:51 pm

Hi Rob,

I've actually just realised that the puppet tool might not be to blame here, but rather the aspect ratio. Never happened before so I don't know why, but my PSD layers are being distorted when I move them... either by the comp settings, or their own pixel settings. One step forward, two steps back!

Return to posts index

David HallowsRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:41:48 pm

Hi everyone
I've been playing with Duik and the Auto rig on simple characters, through wanting to teach some simple character stuff at college. Unfortunately, I keep on getting the error message - After Effects warning:undo group mismatch, will attempt to fix. After that, all the controllers have lost their FX and it's all gone terrible. Any help would be brilliant

Return to posts index

CHris KoelschRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Jan 14, 2015 at 10:14:47 pm

Are you on CC 2014? This has JUST started happening to me since the update. It appears to be happening a lot with 3rd party programs right now but I have yet to find a solution. Basically my only work around right now is to not undo any actions with the rig.

Chris Koelsch

Return to posts index

Agnes SwartRe: Duik problems? I have the solutions
by on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:53:23 pm

I would love if you could help me out with my problem. I am trying to set up a horse. with the duik full character rig. I am using the ungulate as suggested. my previous try, with a man worked fine. though I used images.

the horse has been build with shape layers.
after setting up the layers, I get an error; something about my rotations being off. but all rotations on the layers are 0. the layer causing the fault is the first given an IK, so I expect even if I get the first sorted the next and the next will cause issues. any ideas? (willing to provide the afx file if needed)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved