ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

is it possible to animate an Illustrator signature in AE with the "trim paths" command???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteauis it possible to animate an Illustrator signature in AE with the "trim paths" command???
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:15:05 pm

For a WWII documentary, I downloaded Rommel's signature from wikipedia in SVG format and converted to AI Illustrator format. I'd like to animate the signature in After Effects. I know how to do this two ways: with the "Stroke" and with the "Write-on" effect.

But this signature is somewhat complex to animate. As the stroke effect gets to the "R" in Rommel's signature, it inevitably reveals later bits of the "R".

Now with a shape layer, animating any line is effortless. You just add "trim paths" and set "end" to 0% at the start and "end" to 100% at the end. Is there a way to convert a vector image signature in AE to a shape layer that would allow me to add a trim path?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: is it possible to animate an Illustrator signature in AE with the "trim paths" command???
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:34:29 pm

Hi Nicholas

have done a similar thing before with a similar problem solved by animatin a mask to reveal signature using mask as a track matte ---

--- you can animate the thickness of the line and tweak mask so that the reveal is a precise match for the signature at the point where it is problematic ---- cant remember the exact details so you will have to think it through a bit but this does work....

.... masks can be generated from Ai file as below .......

........ open file in Ai / select paths / copy paths / open Ae / paste to required layer where they appear as masks.

---- good luck ------------------ chris ----

====================================================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]