ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

adding time between keyframes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Doyleadding time between keyframes?
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 2:49:19 pm

Back when I used to work in Flash, if you realized you needed something to take longer, you could add frames and everything in the timeline would shift.

So say you had an effect at 60 frames into the timeline. Let's say that effect lasts 30 frames, followed by another effect that starts 90 frames in. You realize you want the first effect to last 40 frames instead of 30.

In Flash, you could put your cursor in the timeline at frame 60, add 10 frames and everything would shift (so now the second effect starts 100 frames in instead of 90).

Is there a way to do something similar in After Effects? It seems like once you set things up, it's very cumbersome to change something in the middle. I find myself selecting multiple layers and keyframes and manually dragging them. Maybe a keyboard combination that moves selected layers frame(s) at a time?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: adding time between keyframes?
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 3:26:24 pm

you can nudge selected layers along the timeline with option-page up/down (alt-pg up/down), option-shift-pg up/down move the layers 10 frames at a time.

you can nudge selected keyframes with option-right/left arrow, again holding shift too will move them 10 frames at a time.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Richard DoyleRe: adding time between keyframes?
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 7:22:54 pm

Flash kind of did both at the same time (you could add time between two keyframes while moving all the layers and keyframes after your cursor as well), but this definitely helps. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved