ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg SageCached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.
by on Aug 23, 2014 at 3:58:59 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Aug 23, 2014 at 4:03:41 pm

CS6
2008 Octomac
osx 10.8.2

Suddenly having constant issue:

When I have nested comps, and go into inner one to make changes, then come back up to outer one to view... it glitches by putting the old version into the frames that had already been viewed (cached)... then the new version takes over for all newly rendered frames. This persists even if the old version's elements are completely deleted from the inner comp.

It seems to only be for whatever is cached. If I go inward a comp or two that hasn't been viewed yet that contains the changes inside it, the new version appears. The glitch only happens at whatever level I had previously viewed the old version.

It's VERY persistent, though. Keeps over-riding those frames even if I purge all memory, delete disk cache, etc.

The only thing I can think of that I changed is I got some error message a while back about installing cuda drivers. I followed the directions and installed. Video card issue? Caching on the card?

I'm using the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB card that the machine came with.

Something else? Did I inadvertently screw up some preference somewhere?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Cached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.
by on Aug 23, 2014 at 4:34:05 pm

What exact version of After Effects?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: Cached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.
by on Aug 23, 2014 at 5:23:44 pm

Actually, sorry for the confusion, but I've been bouncing between over 20 machines lately doing installs, graphic card updates, etc.

Affected machine is 2008 macpro running 10.8.2 at my neighbor's house.

He says it's cs6. He can check exact version when he gets home. He also says I'm mistaken about the cuda install, so I must have gotten it mixed up with another machine I've worked on recently. Probably one at the school with recent nvidia cards.

Anyway, not having this issue anywhere else. Haven't tried loading same project onto different machine yet, though.

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: Cached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.
by on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:22:27 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:23:08 pm

edit: OK. I have version number now: 11.0.0.378

Not entirely sure if this is AE issue or not. Leaning toward thinking it has something to do with caching on vid card, but I've never seen anything like this before on any other machine. He says a few scripts added lately, but nothing that should cause issue like this.

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Cached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:00:42 pm

I have this problem with certain plugins. The main culprit is Element 3d, but it may happen with a few other plugs as well. It usually happens when I have a pre-comp linked to element as a texture layer. If I change something in the pre comp, Element doesn't necessarily know that anything has changed so it doesn't tell the renderer to re-render, thus keeps the cached version.

The only way that I have found to fix it, is to place the playhead on a frame that doesn't have the problem in question, then go to preferences, and clean the Database & Cache, then Empty the Disk cache, then choose purge all from the Edit Menu. You lose all cached information, but it fixes the old frames.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:57:59 pm

Nothing particularly weird here. LOTS of nested comps and some pretty deep scripting of some of the parameters, but the changes I'm making are just things that should show up straight forward in comps above. Not being used as texture layers or masks, or anything like that.

Unfortunately, even cleaning out the cache etc hasn't solved it. Maybe I wasn't on a virgin frame last time I tried. In either case, though, it brought a dead stop to the last 2 sessions over there.

Anyone been able to diagnose anything like this? I still have a hunch it's a video card cache thing somehow, but very much open to learning any other possibilities or fixes.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Cached images taking over even after changes made. Glitching back and forth.
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:37:26 pm

> I have version number now: 11.0.0.378

There is your problem, then. Your are four big bug-fix updates behind.

Install the updates.
http://adobe.ly/DVA_updates

The bug-fix updates to After Effects CS6 were largely about fixing bugs in the cache system.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:00:04 am

Ahh. Ok. Will pass that on. I know he's stuck on 10.8.2 for some other reason (Logic, I think). Not sure what the reason was if any for not updating Adobe. Might just be that he's doing all updates manually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]