ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reusing Rendered Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dawson PennerReusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:25:42 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to reuse rendered frames in After Effects. What I mean is, basically a logo fades in, and then the image doesn't change for the rest of the video. I'm using it for a podcast and it would really be a huge time saver if I could figure this out. I know After Effects has this capability, since the RAM Preview feature makes use of it often.

Thanks,
Dawson

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:44:20 pm

That is built in and automatic. It's part of the caching system.

See this video for details:
https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/global-performance-cache-and-persist...

If you don't want to rely on the cache system, you can prerender an element and just use the prerendered movie instead of making After Effects recalculate aspects of the element:

See this video for details:
http://www.lynda.com/After-Effects-tutorials/Prerendering-using-proxies-Aft...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dawson PennerRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 4:04:52 pm

Hmm,

Not exactly what I'm looking for. I meant in a full render.

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:40:17 pm

Really the only thing you can do in a render is lower the bitrate. really the only thing the caching does is keep Ae from having to calculate the next frame, not from having to encode it in the final render.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:45:45 pm

Doyle, that is a misrepresentation of how the cache works.

See the video that I linked to above. If you have previewed an element even once, then it will be retrieved from the cache on rendering for final export, too, rather than be recalculated.

Also, to the point of the original question: If a logo doesn't change, then After Effects will retrieve the previously calculated result from the cache every subsequent time that it needs to show the rendered pixels for the logo. This persists across sessions, even, if you have the disk cache turned on.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:57:41 pm

Thanks for the clarification Todd,

That makes sense. I think what he is trying to understand though is why that doesn't (at least seemingly) save him time in the export queue.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Dawson PennerRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 23, 2014 at 8:27:52 pm

Ah yes I see now. The frames do "render" (or I guess retrieve from the cache?) faster. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Reusing Rendered Frames
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:13:54 pm

Sorry, but I had time only to skim and not pay attention to details. I hope I have your question right...

If your goal is to make a standard graphics element like an animated logo, use your video as a reference only for the logo position, animate the logo, get rid of the video, and render an alpha-channeled movie. When you need it, add it to the project, and you're good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]