ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

volumetric light from side of screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hey Chongvolumetric light from side of screen
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 7:43:14 pm

I am trying to recreate the Oscars opening with a light beaming from one side of the screen to the other. I can't seem to get spotlights in the correct position in 3D space for that effect. I've done some tutorials on volumetric lighting and can get the light shining from the top of the screen downwards but not from one side to the other. Any tips on how to recreate this effect?

I uploaded the picture but it is 2 seconds into this video:

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: volumetric light from side of screen
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:24:36 pm

honestly, i don't think i'd go 3d...

try creating a comp sized solid and adding fractal noise. in the fractal noise settings, twirl down the transform settings, uncheck the uniform scaling option and then scale up the width until it looks like horizontal streaks.

then add the corner pin effect and pinch the right side down and expand the left side vertically our of the frame.

try setting the blending mode to add or screen and then start fine tuning the settings to get what you want.

the top and bottom edges can be created by adding a couple cc light sweep effects, setting the sweep intensity to 0, increasing the edge intensity and modifying the center and direction to position them where you want them.

adding linear wipe and feather the edge can fade out the left side and be used to transition in as per your example.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: volumetric light from side of screen
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 6:52:13 am

I'm with Kevin on this one. Use VC Optical Flares or Knoll Light Factory combined with a white solid masked out (feather edges and apply glow- work at 32 bit) for volumetric feel.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Doyle LewisRe: volumetric light from side of screen
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 1:16:17 pm

As always our man Andrew Kramer has a solution.

He creates interactive volumetric lighting without having to use a 3d plug in like C4D or anything.

If you are determined to use 3D I can give you some thought son that.

In C4D I've done it for a few projects by turning on volumetric for the spot light then building cookies out of planes with random holes cut out of it (using Boole objects). You then have to turn the intensity of the spotlight way up, but that generally does the trick.If you are rendering objects with it then I would suggest Putting those objects in the lights exclusion feild and then lighting them with GI instead using planes with luminance as off camera lights.

Below is an image that I had modeled textured and rendered in C4D. I got the volumetric lighting using the techniques I described above. If you have any more questions about doing volumetric lighting let me know. Or if C4D project file would be useful to you I can upload it and share it with you.

Hope that helped

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

Return to posts index

Hey ChongRe: volumetric light from side of screen
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 9:25:26 pm

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I took Kevin's advice which worked very well. I also actually went through the Andrew Kramer tutorial and it is very good and comprehensive but for some reason I just kept getting stuck on positioning the light to look like it was coming from the side. It is probably just me. I do think the true 3d light looks better but again, Kevin's instructions work just fine for what I am doing. Also, if I had Knoll Light Factory or equivalent I'm sure I could add the little details that give a 3d look. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved