ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyboard Shortcuts for more than 20 Scripts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Frese
Keyboard Shortcuts for more than 20 Scripts
on Aug 21, 2014 at 4:53:29 pm

Is it possible to map keyboard shortcuts for more than the first 20 scripts? I use tons of scripts and this feels too limiting.

I'm not talking about using ft_toolbar / Launchpad / something that gives you buttons. I spend half my time on a laptop, where screen real estate is precious.

Mac's build in keyboard shortcut/menu reader thing doesn't seem to work. Nor does adding "ExecuteScriptMenuItem21" to the keyboard shortcut file.

Is there some other clever way to do this that I'm missing? Or am I SOL?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for more than 20 Scripts
on Aug 21, 2014 at 6:00:40 pm

[Rob Frese] "Is it possible to map keyboard shortcuts for more than the first 20 scripts?"

I don't think so, but...

[Rob Frese] "I'm not talking about using ft_toolbar / Launchpad / something that gives you buttons. I spend half my time on a laptop, where screen real estate is precious. "

What about using some of those first 20 scripts as separate copies of ft_toolbar? Press your hotkey to open up a toolbar in a floating window (scripts outside of ScriptUI folder are not dockable), click the button you want, then close it?

ft_toolbar will have a fixed size launching this way, but you could fit plenty of buttons on each instance.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Rob Frese
on Aug 27, 2014 at 8:30:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Walter.

I'm working on a mini-ft_toolbar like script that I can launch with a keyboard shortcut, then map mnemonics/keyeventlisteners to shortcuts that will launch specific scripts. This in order to collapse some of my scripts and make room for more.

Don't really see the point in AE limiting keyboard shortcuts to the first 20 scripts -- putting in a feature request for more in the future.

Return to posts index

Rob Frese
on Dec 17, 2014 at 1:41:23 pm

In case anyone's still interested I have figured out a workaround for this -- you basically put multiple scripts into one script file (let's call that your "container script") and add "if (ScriptUI.environment.keyName == ) {}" and define the keyboard shortcuts for each sub-script in the container script, then make ALL of those shortcuts launch the container script in the keyboard shortcuts file. When you use one of the keys the container script will determine which script you're trying to launch.

I might be getting the scriptUI.environment language a little wrong (it's not in front of me right now) but if anyone's interested I can post a more detailed description.

Maybe I'm the only AE use who uses a ton of keyboard shortcuts / scripts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]