ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reversing an animation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ilia KotchenReversing an animation?
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:56:48 am

Hi all,

This should be a fairly simple answer, but I just haven't been able to get it solved.

I have an object animating along a path. It animates from the first point to the last point as it should.

My question is: Without redrawing the path in reverse, how can I make that object follow along the path from the last point to the first point instead?

Here is my situation: I have a camera animating along the path and there are meant to be incoming objects animating along the same path. Although whenever I Auto Orient these objects, they will travel along that path in the same direction as the camera. I need them coming towards the camera instead.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Reversing an animation?
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:38:57 am

[Ilia Kotchen] "I have an object animating along a path. It animates from the first point to the last point as it should. My question is: Without redrawing the path in reverse, how can I make that object follow along the path from the last point to the first point instead?"

Alt+click the position stopwatch for the item you wish to reverse, and enter the following expression:

// expression to reverse keyframe evaluation in time
// i.e., the first keyframe will be used last, and the last will be used first
// everything in between will also be reversed, because we will essentially run
// time backwards in this property only

// we need 2 or more keyframes on the property to be able to reverse them
if (numKeys > 1) {

// We're going to look at the current time, then figure out where it is in relation to the range of time
// from the first keyframe to the last. We will store in t the interpolation of what that value would be
// if that exact range of time were reversed, running backwards from the last frame to the first
t = linear(time, key(1).time,key(numKeys).time,key(numKeys).time,key(1).time);

// get the value of the property at the reversed time
valueAtTime(t);
} else value // if we have less than 2 keyframes, just return the underlying value

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Elnaz JohnsonRe: Reversing an animation?
by on Nov 4, 2015 at 9:21:45 am
Last Edited By Elnaz Johnson on Nov 11, 2015 at 12:46:45 pm

great solution!!!
Is it possible to select keyframes and right-click on them and then select reverse keyframes ?
does this solution works ?

I found a website that contains After Effects Template for download:
http://www.digiphic.com

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Reversing an animation?
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 1:49:15 pm

Not sure if this will help, but thought I would toss it out here, ReverseMaskPath

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]