ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

import RED r3d to After Effects CC (2014)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg C Neumayer
import RED r3d to After Effects CC (2014)
on Aug 19, 2014 at 11:21:28 pm

I'm having trouble importing r3d files to AE CC 2014.
It keeps telling me it's an unsupported format. Where do I start?

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: import RED r3d to After Effects CC (2014)
on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:45:48 am

There are a lot of different RED cameras and formats. Give us the details of the camera and footage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
on Aug 20, 2014 at 4:55:07 am

According to the Metadata of the clip in Red Player, here's some of what looks significant, although I'm new to RED footage, so I'm guessing a bit here about what may be significant:

Res: 4800x2700
REDCODE: REDcode 5:1
Cam Model: EPIC-M
Cam Network: DRAGON
Cam PIN: 102-97A-C84
Firmware V: 5.1.51
FirmWare Rev: 74945

Does this tell you anything important about it's compatibility? I'm afraid I don't know what some of it even means (REDCODE, PIN).

Also, I'm running AE CC 2014
Mac Pro 10.8.5 (late 2010)
Nvidia GTX680
96GB RAM

Thanks for your help.
-Greg

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 20, 2014 at 6:43:21 am

How are you trying to import it and what exact file are you trying to import?

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
on Aug 20, 2014 at 6:37:13 pm

I have an XML file (provided by the editor), which I'm not exactly sure how to handle. I'm assuming the XML gives me an EDL and more, which I was hoping AE could interpret - find footage for, and build a comp by. Is this a fair assumption of it's purpose? Will AE do that natively?

I also have (in a sub-folder) all the shots pertaining to the XML. (e.g. a folder called A008_C013_07221Z.RDC and then a .R3D file by the same name inside that folder.) [What is the RDC folder for?]

Thanks for the help. Please feel free to guide me to a tutorial on workflow if my problem is simply non-education about RED-to-AE workflows. I'm not exactly sure if I'm having file problems, or education problems (or both!)

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 20, 2014 at 11:08:32 pm

So, you're trying to import an XML file, not a .r3d file?

That is a different thing entirely.

If someone gave you an XML file that represents an entire project (e.g., an FCP XML file from an NLE), then that is not a file that you import like a piece of footage. After Effects does come with a feature for interpreting FCP XML files; File > Import > Pro Import After Effects. This feature is based on Pro Import AE from Automatic Duck.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
on Aug 20, 2014 at 11:20:47 pm

I'd be happy with either!
The XML file is only 54KB and looks like an edit decision list. It's in the parent folder of the clips, which are all .R3D. I thought maybe there was a feature I'm unaware of that would take that XML and use it to go find the clips.

At risk of restating the obvious:
I would like to import a bunch of received .R3D clips into AE. They seem to be in a subfolder to a small XML file that contains metadata like duration, ins and outs. This would obviously be helpful to have automatically come in so that I don't have to re-build the edit manually.

I HAVE tried >Pro Import> selected the XML >
It said..."looking for footage"...
Then... "Error. Unknown or unsupported file format!"

Where would you go from here?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 21, 2014 at 4:14:00 am

The folders have a bunch of camera created metadata and those have nothing to do with whatever the editor has done. You'll need a proper XML, EDL or AAF from the editor that has the edit information in it.

Return to posts index

Gus Capote
on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:37:42 pm

I'm having the same problem here, I have .r3d files from a epic dragon, I can see the files on the red viewer but when try to import in AE got an unsupported format error

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]