ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to Rotoscope dark images on dark background?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dallas kruse
How to Rotoscope dark images on dark background?
on Aug 18, 2014 at 6:06:03 pm

I am trying to do a composition where I'm adding a new background to some footage.

The actor has a dark shirt, it's filmed in low light, and the background is completely black.

Instead of tirelessly hand drawing rotoscoping every frame, is there a way to somehow boost the gamma or exposure or levels in someway to be able to have AE find edges better?

Music Producer dabbling in Video.
FCP 7. CS3, 5. AE.
Canon T3i.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to Rotoscope dark images on dark background?
on Aug 18, 2014 at 6:55:22 pm

Rotobrush could very well be your friend in such a situation, but don't expect to be an expert from the get-go. It isn't intuitive AT ALL, you need to read up on it and run tutorials. It certainly doesn't lend itself to tips in a forum post.

If you look in AE Help, you should find a very valuable section on Rotobrush Resources. Very valuable.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How to Rotoscope dark images on dark background?
on Aug 18, 2014 at 7:12:55 pm

[dallas kruse] " is there a way to somehow boost the gamma or exposure or levels in someway to be able to have AE find edges better?"

Maybe. We would have to see a still from it or something to know better.
I mean, you can apply Curves or Levels and precomp it and try using RotoBrush on the precomp.

If automated solutions don't work, this page [link] has some good tips on rotoscoping to make it easier.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]