ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

mpeg & mts files cannot be imported

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
teddy greggmpeg & mts files cannot be imported
by on Aug 16, 2014 at 6:26:36 pm

Hi everyone. I hope you are all well.

Some months back I discovered that I could not import .mts video files from my university project into after effects 5.5 on my home pc even though they opened fine on the computers at my uni. This was very frustrating as it meant I had to convert all the .mts files to mp4 files to get them to import. I have downloaded tutorial project files from Lynda.Com onto my computer and when I have tried to open the project files again I am getting an error saying "after effects error: file cannot be imported - this mpeg file is damaged or unsupported" so obviously I cannot follow the tutorial at home. Again this is strange as the same files work perfectly well on the computers at my university.
Do forgive my lack of experience in this area but I thought I was covered as far as Cocdecs was concerened as I have the latest version of K-Lite mega codec pack as well as the latest quicktime installed on my home pc. Again apologies to the experienced people in this area. This is probs a basic problem but this area along with aspect ratios, video preset setting etc is an area where I need to improve as im finding it hard to get to grips with.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Teddy

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: mpeg & mts files cannot be imported
by on Aug 16, 2014 at 8:03:57 pm

Here's a great set of recommendations to follow. Pay attention to the 6th 'Don't'.

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/86-do-s-and-don-ts/97-do-s-and-don...

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2014 at 8:13:49 pm

Actually, this was a very common complaint as the AVCHD format came into being. It was, and actually still is today, usually a result of the registration of your AE install getting confused and thinking that it's a trial version. The use of AVCHD(.mts) files was locked out unless the software was correctly activated. The solution was generally to deactivate/reactivate, or reinstall and re-activate.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

teddy greggRe: mpeg & mts files cannot be imported
by on Aug 16, 2014 at 9:00:18 pm

Oh Bugger,
Thank you v much for your response. I only use k-lite to convert avi mpeg videos in dvd format. Do you think think this is the problem?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2014 at 9:39:19 pm

I once installed the K-lite codec package, and it screwed quite a few things up. Can't recall exactly what the issues were, but I remember that things settled down after I uninstalled it. I also remember that it required a reinstall of PPro and AE to eradicate the changes to the built-in codec structure for those programs. Suffice to say, if K-lite replaces the default codec for AVCHD files, and AE is expecting to use it's own codecs for that task, I'd imagine that it would be angry.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: mpeg & mts files cannot be imported
by on Aug 18, 2014 at 1:16:42 pm

K-Lite has a bad history of screwing up professional video software. Some people have actually had to wipe their computer and start fresh. I'd try Steve's suggestions of removing it and reinstalling the Adobe software before I nuke the entire system if I were you, but just keep it in the back of your mind.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]