ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particle Playground and Time Offset

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CuevasParticle Playground and Time Offset
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:28:38 pm

While working trying to solve a problem in this thread, we've run into a problem. The goal is to create an animation with flowers growing to form numbers. Everything works, except trying to use the time offset+expression to go back to the first frame for each new particle. As soon as time offset is enable(with or without expression), the number of visible particles created drops massively, even though the info window says there may be 1000's of particles created. Though, the new particles are starting at the first frame, they seem not to be animating quite a bit slower than they should .

Here is the working project to date. Hope someone can shed some light on this, I'm at complete loss now.

7876_particleplaygroundv3folder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Particle Playground and Time Offset
by on Aug 16, 2014 at 2:15:26 am

I don't really use Particle Playground, but it looks as if it is applying the time offset to the system as a whole each frame, so as the expression marches forward, the time reference for the whole system marches backwards.

This is not the same as if it were applying the time offset to a particle when it is emitted and then keeping that value associated with a specific particle.

I think this would be more straightforward with Form or Particular.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Particle Playground and Time Offset
by on Aug 16, 2014 at 12:33:37 pm

Thank you Walter for the explanation. I read the help 3 times and could not work that out.

Yes, this would be easier in Particular, but the person in the other thread doesn't have that, so I was working with what was available.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Particle Playground and Time Offset
by on Aug 16, 2014 at 1:23:01 pm

The help doesn't really say -- that's just my guess at what is happening.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]