ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wireframe Previews in CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scottie Haines
Wireframe Previews in CS6
on Aug 15, 2014 at 6:59:22 pm

I noticed today that Adobe got rid of wireframe previews in CS6. I'm working on a massive 400+ layer project and need to see realtime wireframe movement. Is there a work around for this? I'm getting about 2-6fps in wireframe mode. Why would they get rid of such an important feature??

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Wireframe Previews in CS6
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:48:21 pm

Wireframe previews still exist in After Effects. Look at the bottom of the Fast Previews menu; it's the last preview mode in the list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Scottie Haines
on Aug 15, 2014 at 10:49:35 pm

I'm talking about pre-rendering wireframe with audio, not regular wireframe mode. I get really slow previews in regular wireframe mode.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:12:36 pm

A little confused here....

Are you talking about PREVIEWING a section of your 400+ layer comp, or PRERENDERING some or all of those 400+ frames to make AE work faster later?

If you're talking prerendering, AE won't do wireframes. If it's PREVIEWING, you may have to reduce the comp resolution to one-third or one-quarter, reduce the viewer size to 50% or less, preview every other frame with Shift-Zero... or all of them.

And just to check, you're not simply hitting the space bar, are you?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scottie Haines
on Aug 16, 2014 at 2:04:01 am

Well I'm on a pretty beefy machine... i7@5Ghz, 32GB, Quadro Cards, 5 SSDs, 5 HDs, lots of power... so I figured that wireframes should run smoothly even at that count. Usually it does, but it's been having issues at times depending on some unknown factor that comes and goes. That particular scene has already successful been to the render farm and back (the camera work was totally based on theory), but I'm sure I'll run into this problem again. I'm producing virtual choirs, so the video count is pretty high.

Why would I be having problems viewing wireframes in realtime, even in just PREVIEW mode? (Although hearing the audio at the same time would be much more helpful.)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 16, 2014 at 10:42:00 pm

Well, we still don't know how you're previewing.

Beefy, schmeefy. I don't think even the NSA has machines beefy enough to do a realtime AE preview by hitting the space bar or the play button in the preview panel.

If you aren't doing a proper RAM Preview by hitting the zero key on the numeric keypad, you're banging your head agsinst a wall.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scottie Haines
on Aug 16, 2014 at 11:30:51 pm

I was trying to PREVIEW via spacebar in wireframe mode... because AE doesn't have wireframe RAM previews anymore. (They dropped the feature in CS6 according to the Adobe manual.) I didn't want to wait all day for RAM previews. Even at 6fps in quarter res mode, it can take a good 5 minutes or so to preview just a few seconds. That's with particular disabled. I guess I underestimated the computational density of wireframes...

I had a decent number of Element 3D objects in the scene that, when I unchecked them, sped up the wireframe fps. However, I don't understand why AE doesn't render in realtime, with frame dropping. Instead, it just plays back as slow as it needs to, which makes it impossible for me to interpret camera movement speeds. I'm on a tight time budget.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Aug 17, 2014 at 2:20:27 pm

The spacebar is your enemy. Zero is your friend. Don't forget to check your ram preview. Set it on quarter and skip 2 or 5 frames, you can get a good estimate of the timing even with skipping 5 frames.

Return to posts index

Charles Brepsant
on Aug 31, 2014 at 9:49:04 pm

Rendering every 2 frames works well but I do agree with Scottie though, RAM pre-viewing in Wireframe mode would rock my world for such big layered projects (assuming it should render much faster than in Quarter quality/every 2 frames, which I imagine it should)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]