ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting H264 - gamma shift??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Pedersen
Exporting H264 - gamma shift??
on Aug 15, 2014 at 4:54:52 pm

You've probably heard this problem before but it is driving me INSANE and I simply can't find any solution to this problem whatsoever! Even worse I've run into this issue before but I somehow fixed it - maybe the underlying problem was another. But let's get to it.

My problem is when I export my final video for YouTube upload I view my video in VLC and see my darks are lifted and my highligths are lowered - it becomes very flat. The problem is to me without a doubt something with the full range/broadcast or RGB/709. I'm still a little confused about it all. First of all, this is my workflow:

Record video 1080p with 5D mkII.
Bring natively into Premiere to edit -> Export as DNxHD, RGB
Import to DaVinci Resolve for color grade -> Export as DNxHD, full range (this is the 'RGB' as it is chosen in PP/AE, right?)

I first exported from DaVinci with "auto" levels and I guess it chose "normally scaled legal video" as I got my first contrast problem here. It was flat compared to what I saw in DaVinci. Okay, I then exported DNxHD but with "full range" and in VLC I now saw it as it was in DaVinci. All good!

I then imported this to After Effects where I did some warp stabilizer and sharpening and here comes the problem. I saw it in AE as it was graded in DaVinci but when I export the problem occurs once again. If I export to H264 in both render queue and Media Encoder I get the flat image. If I export to DNxHD RGB i get flat as well, but with DNxHD 709 it is correct. I know VLC might be bad at showing true colors or something, but what I see is what I get when uploaded to YouTube for all three exports and that is my end goal after all.

EVEN STRANGER: When I import both the 709 and RGB exports they show exactly the same in PP/AE even though VLC and YouTube will show these completely different.

Is my AE/PP setup uncorrectly? Did I miss a way to choose to export H264 in either full range/broadcast? Is there something wrong in my workflow with the selection of 709/RGB that somewhere along the road 'destroys' my files?

IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. Especially because I need to send it for an application tomorrow!

I really hope you can understand my problem and hopefully help me.

Thanks in advance.

-----------
Messing around in After Effects and Premiere Pro

Specs for whenever I forget to include it in my oh so many forum questions:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU: Intel i7-4770K @ 3,5GHz
RAM: 16 GB G.Skill 2133MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-Pro
Seagate 1 TB

Return to posts index

Alexander Pedersen
Re: Exporting H264 - gamma shift??
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:09:56 pm

And here is what I mean in pictures:

-----------

Seagate 1 TB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:11:07 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:13:49 pm

Recent versions of Adobe Media Encoder have a very good preset for encoding uploads for YouTube. Have you tried it? I'd use a file in a lossless codec to ensure it looks right before you encode for YouTube.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alexander Pedersen
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:28:23 pm

Hey Dave

Thanks for the quick answer.
I did that, same old thing. I choose the preset under YouTube: YouTube HD 1080p 23.976 8 Mbps and I get the same flat image in VLC and I just uploaded to YouTube - still flat.

Again the weird thing is when I import this very file I just created back into AE it shows correct once again....?? I'm thinking it might be how AE/PP shows my files? That it shows this flat image as not flat but in reality it is..?

-----------

Seagate 1 TB

Return to posts index

Alexander Pedersen
on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:25:22 pm

Okay, so it's gotta be something with my export settings or settings in After Effects, not my footage. Cause I just did a test with a whole new project and comp with a simple red background and a black solid. Exported with the YouTube preset from After Effects and both in VLC and uploaded to YouTube it's flat - the black is not pure black. See for yourself (compare with the blackness of YouTube's letterboxes in the bottom):

-----------

Seagate 1 TB

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 17, 2014 at 12:19:43 pm

try your red thing again and use an adjustment layer, utility profile converter rec709. it should burn in the
color management.

Return to posts index

Alexander Pedersen
on Aug 18, 2014 at 8:42:57 pm

Hey Chris

I cannot find said "utility profile converter rec709"? Is it a plugin or what? I only found a Color Profile Converter and even though I messed a little around with that it had no effect on the render of the H264 file.

-----------

Seagate 1 TB

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 18, 2014 at 10:47:49 pm

yes, Color Profile Converter.
obvously, the h.264 is the culprit. did you reimport it back into AE to see if you could match it up?
there's 2 different kinds, 0-255 and 16-235 rec709 color management. You can burn in whatever works in matching up with the utility. its not science, its art. haha.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:28:35 pm

The issue might be with the DNxHD codec if you are using the QuickTime version as opposed to the MXF version in CC. I stopped using DNxHD/MOV because of luma clipping and shifting. Try V210, 10-bit YUV, DPX, or AVC-Intra instead.

From an overall workflow perspective, you might also consider applying the AE effects as pre-processing on the source files, and then bringing the adjusted clips into Premiere Pro using Dynamic Links. Alternatively, try to do the adjustments within Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]