ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Getting 3 GeForce GTX770 to work in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christoph MalinGetting 3 GeForce GTX770 to work in AE
by on Aug 14, 2014 at 10:07:14 am

I've recently built a Test System with a ASUS P9 X-79E MB, Xeon i7 Processor, 32 GB RAM, couple SSDs and 3 GeForce GTX 770 Cards (connected via SLI) for rendering large (3500+) Canon 6D RAW Image File Sequences (including development XMPs from LRTimelapse) in After Effects.

System is set up as both a Windows 7 and Hackintosh Boot.

a) In Win7 the GTX 770 was recognized by AE and is supported with GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

b) in OSX I had to do the usual GeForce hack to get AE support this card.

c) tested a Standard 3500 Image Sequence on that System as well as on the new MacBook ProRetina (PCIe) 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM.

Results (for the Hackintosh/Win7) machine

1) On Win 7 with GPU Cuda Support, Sequence takes around 1 hr 40 mins to render in AE. 2 GeForce Cards get warm (first hot, second warm) the 3rd stays cold (looks like it does nothing). GPU has about half load.

2) On OSX with GPU Cuda Support activated, Sequence takes around 2 hrs 4 mins to render in AE. 1st GeForce gets very hot, 2nd and 3rd stay cool.

3) If I switch to CPU acceleration in OSX the Sequence takes about 10 mins more to render, full load then on the CPU all cores, the GeForce Cards stay cold.

4) If I switch to CPU acceleration in Win 7 the Sequence takes about 15 mins longer, full load then on the CPU, the GeForce Cards stay cold.

- how can I get all CUDA cards to work, right now it seems that under AE a 3rd card makes no sense?

(I watched all tutorials how to get Cuda Support in AE under OSX so it seems we have done everything right)

Rendering in Adobe Media Encoder with CUDA activated always takes around the same time or even more.

We also tested Blender in OSX on that machine with a 3D project, and there all three Geforce get noticeable hot.

BTW: FCPX runs very smooth in OSX on that machine, exporting however only one Cuda Card gets warm, others stay cold.

Any remarks and help welcome. In the Moment we are a bit disappointed and thought that CUDA would boost the AE Renders much more.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Getting 3 GeForce GTX770 to work in AE
by on Aug 14, 2014 at 2:27:15 pm

What do you expect the GPU to speed up in After Effects, and why? The GPU does almost nothing for After Effects. Details are here:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Christoph MalinRe: Getting 3 GeForce GTX770 to work in AE
by on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:40:53 pm

nice to read from you. We are just trying to ease the pain of rendering these large Image Sequences without using a Render farm (yet). We are also bound to the XMP files accompanying these RAW files with all the Lightroom / LRTimelapse developments.

If you want to have a look what we are doing (e.g. Chile UltraHD Expedition powered by Canon and others):

However, I don't understand your point:

To our measurements CUDA does already accelerate the RAW rendering, not much, but it does.

folder with: 5440 files (2720 Canon CR2 + 2720 XMP Files), total of 63.55 GB

a) with CPU (Multi CPU Rendering activated)

ca. 02 hrs 20 mins

b) with CPU and / or ? GPU

ca 01 hrs 40

So there is already a difference.

It would be great if this could be enhanced in the near future. Why should AE always be bound to CPU rendering?

A test on processing Timelapse footage on the current 6-core MacPro vs other current Mac's you find here (we did these tests prior to the ESO expedition):

All the best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved