Flowers blooming (loads of them!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Biercewicz
Flowers blooming (loads of them!)
on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:33:39 am
Last Edited By Ryan Biercewicz on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:34:46 am

Hi,

I have an animated flower (precomped), that needs to bloom along with about a hundred or so other flowers in the shape of a number (i.e. 352, see attached image). I was wondering, is there a quick way to organise these in the correct shape? Rather than manually positioning them?

The animation will also need to build gradually - so one flower animates, then another, quicker and quicker until all of them have bloomed. Again, is there an expression or a quicker way to do this, than manually moving each precomp along the timeline?

Image -

Thanks
Ryan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Flowers blooming (loads of them!)
on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:50:47 am

I'd use a particle emitter like AE's Particle Playground or Trapcode Particular

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:16:36 pm

Thanks - do you know how to set the flower precomp as a particle, and a text layer (numbers) as a map using particle playground? I should be OK from there!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:29:37 pm

Use the Layer map for the particle precomp.

Layer Map controls
By default, the Cannon, Grid, Layer Exploder, and Particle Exploder create dot particles. To replace the dots with a layer in the composition, use the Layer Map. For example, if you use a movie of a single bird flapping its wings as a particle source layer, After Effects replaces all dots with an instance of the bird movie, creating a flock of birds. A particle source layer can be a still image, a solid, or a nested After Effects composition.

To constrain the particle, I would probably make an inverted map of you numbers in a precomp, and then in the persistent property mapper, use that layer to set the life span of the particles born in the areas without numbers to 0.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:39:22 pm

I made a quick example project---I used the red channel to constrain my particles to just that area.

7865_particleplayground.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:15:07 pm

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your help, and for the quick response - however, I tried switching your star particle with my pre-comped flower animation in the layer map, and nothing appears. Will this work with pre-comps, or does it need to be a pre-rendered video / image? Perhaps there is another setting I've missed. I've attached my project for you to look at, if you can shed some light on it I'd be very grateful!

Cheers
Ryan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:19:57 pm

You will need to save it back to CS6, otherwise I can't look at it. But try changing the "Time Offset Type" in the Layer Map to "Relative" or "Relative Random". I think when it's on absolute it grabs the first frame of the precomp.

I made a simple animation of your flower in my precomp and with relative random have all my flowers at different scales and rotations.

Here's my revised comp: 7871_particleplaygroundrevisedfolder.zip

BTW, you're really making me think, I haven't used playground in 6 or 7 years, since I switched to Particular or Form. Kind of fun playing with it again.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:44:13 pm

Glad to be of service! Haha...

Unfortunately I'm running CC2014 so I don't think I can save a CS6 version - is there a way around this?

It's definitely getting there! I've swapped your precomped flower animation with my own, and although some of them do 'animate in', some of them just appear - some of them also randomly disappear as well. :s

I've attached a video so you can see what I mean...

Cheers,
Ryan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:06:34 pm
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:10:09 pm

What's happening is with relative random chosen, playground is picking a random frame to start the animation. That's why some are popping on. I tried playing using relative and an expression on the time offset to pick the first frame of the animation. When I do that, it picks the first frame and the flowers grow, but for some reason, hardly any visible particles seem to be generated...I'm not sure if I"m doing something wrong, or it's a bug in the particle playground.

For instance I'm looking at my info panel and it says there are 1034 particles, I count 34 on screen. At this point, I'm at a bit of loss on how to proceed.

I suppose you could set it up with the offset, let it for as long as need be, and then precomp the entire thing and time remap it to get it work correctly.

Here's the expression I put on the time offset.
inPoint-time

I'm going to repost asking about the time offset.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 21, 2014 at 4:27:24 pm

Thanks, did you have any luck with the repost? If it's a limitation with playground, is something like this much easier to achieve with trapcode?

Cheers
Ryan

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:34:25 pm

[Ryan Biercewicz] "Unfortunately I'm running CC2014 so I don't think I can save a CS6 version - is there a way around this?"

In CC 2014, save as CC.
Open the file in CC and Save As CS6.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 21, 2014 at 4:28:06 pm

And thanks Michael, unfortunately I've removed CC from my machine and am now only running 2014...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 22, 2014 at 1:36:52 pm

[Ryan Biercewicz] "unfortunately I've removed CC from my machine and am now only running 2014..."

Luckily, you can easily re-install CC from the Creative Cloud app. You just have to filter by previous versions. I have CS5, CS6, CC, and CC 2014 all on my system for compatibility requests from clients.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
on Aug 27, 2014 at 10:59:48 am

Great thanks Michael, that's very useful to know!

Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]