ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Efficient way to use Remove Grain?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave AndradeEfficient way to use Remove Grain?
by on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:30:22 am
Last Edited By Dave Andrade on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:31:47 am

Ok. This may seem like an odd question, but I'll lay out a few things:

1. It appears as Remove Grain is very robust and includes a lot of fine tuning. I honestly don't have a question regarding the interface. It appears to be straightforward.

2. Having said that, people have told me that unlike NeatVideo, it doesnt utilize the GPU and only the CPU.

3. I've also been informed that the render times are extended a lot more using Remove Grain compared to NeatVideo, but I can find nothing to support this.

I would gladly use Remove Grain knowing that the only advantage that NeatVideo has is its interface. However, if the render times are increased exponentially, then not so much. Having said that, if there is a setting in Remove Grain (AE Effect) that helps "speed up the process" I am all ears. (In other words, is there something checked as a default in that effect that doesnt need to be and is just causing long renders?)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Efficient way to use Remove Grain?
by on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:18:09 am

I use Remove Grain a lot more than NeatVideo, especially when I need to remove grain from elements that where shot on chroma. It does not seem slower to me. Here's a tip straight from Adobe - I follow this and it has worked for me:
To increase the speed of the Remove Grain effect preview, adjust the Remove Grain controls in order in the Effect Controls panel. Specifically, the most efficient workflow is to find effective degraining settings first and to adjust the last three controls last.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved