ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to do a gradient blend from one layer to another?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kamran Ali
How to do a gradient blend from one layer to another?
on Aug 10, 2014 at 10:16:27 pm

Hi guys I'm new to after effects so I'm sorry if I confuse you with my description of what I'm trying to do. Been trying to search for a solution but with no success. Seems simple enough I think so maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Hence I'm going to try explaining this in the most rudimentary way possible.

Essentially I'm looking to blend 2 clips from top to bottom of the frame, so for example clip a takes up the bottom half of the frame and clip b takes up top half of frame and where they meet in middle they blend into each other. Its a static shot, so no animation or key framing.

I thought maybe this could be accomplished using opacity and or a gradient effect, but maybe I'm thinking to literately. Been looking at blend modes but again think I might be on the wrong tracks.

Any whelp would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Kamran

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How to do a gradient blend from one layer to another?
on Aug 10, 2014 at 10:50:46 pm

Just put a mask on the top layer, open up the mask feather properties, unlock the link and just adjust the vertical feather.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

kamran Ali
on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:18:52 am

wow thanks mate going to try that out in the morning

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:56:40 am

Here's something else you might play around with. Blend the two layers using a mask, like I mentioned above, then duplicate both layers, and place them in a pre-comp. Make the pre-comp the top layer.Now, use the rectangle mask to and mask the middle horizontal 1/3 of the video. Add a vertical feather to the mask(120 or so) then play with the blending modes of the pre-comp---this way when the two layers blend together, they combine with some stronger colors that pop a little more. You may want to play with the opacity of the top layer too.

Here's a quick little example project. 7853_blendfolder.zip

Also if you are new to AE, you really should check out: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

kamran Ali
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:05:07 am

thanks mate going through the tutorials now and I tried what you said and it works great, thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]