ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a Seismograph with Write-On effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marius CrowneCreating a Seismograph with Write-On effect.
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:12:38 pm

Hello all.

I'm attempting to make some really simple motion graphics over a documentary where the subject is talking about an earthquake. Each time he mentions where an earthquake falls on the Richter scale, a line which moves across the bottom of the screen wiggles appropriately (higher and faster for more intense earthquakes, slower and lower for less intense ones).

I thought I'd found the perfect solution: THE WRITE-ON EFFECT.

I have a line going from left to right and a wiggle effect (only on the Y-Axis) attached to a slider control. It does exactly what I want it to do EXCEPT the write-on effect starts getting jittery when we get into high frequency/ amplitude with the wiggle.

I already have the brush spacing set to .001.

Can anyone think of anything I can do to get rid of this jitter, blur the jitter together (so it looks solid), or a different approach that I'm perhaps not thinking of.

Any help would be much appreciated. I should also mention that I looked at the posts from 2003 about doing a seismograph effect and they don't really look as good. :-/

Alright. Thanks!

//M

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Creating a Seismograph with Write-On effect.
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:24:57 am

Its moving too fast? You should be able to get the effect if you pre comp it and increase the frame rate in that comp and lower it on the outside comp. I would say just use the stroke effect, but if you got the perfect look then go for it.

Return to posts index

Marius CrowneRe: Creating a Seismograph with Write-On effect.
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 11:06:25 am

Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid this isn't the problem. Sorry I wasn't clear, I should have posted an accompanying image.

And, what the hell, here's the AE file (CC 2014) as well:

7846_dundarseismograph.aep.zip

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Creating a Seismograph with Write-On effect.
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 2:00:36 pm

I couldn't get it to work. You could draw that shape and use a stroke of varying speed to animate something similar is my best guess.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating a Seismograph with Write-On effect.
by on Aug 12, 2014 at 4:21:45 pm

That's a clever idea using Wiggle. I'd suggest using CC Particle World or Trapcode's Particular, if you have it. You can tie the emitter to null and wiggle the null (or just wiggle the emitter) and adjust the number of particles where it moves quickly. (Heck, you could probably set up an expression on that for when it wiggles too.)

If you have Particular, it would be very easy to get the wind to blow the particles continuously in one direction too.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]