ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking Liquify: Rotate, etc

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent TaylorTracking Liquify: Rotate, etc
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:13:11 pm

Hi guys.

I'm using the liquify effect to distort a face, but I am having some trouble getting the effect to follow the movements of the head. How can I get the liquify effect to move and also rotate along with the adjustment layer that it's on?

I started by trying the method in this tutorial:

Like he demonstrates, I tracked position and rotation on the face, made the null, then parented the adjustment layer to the null. No problems there. The adjustment layer contains the liquify effect.

However the liquify movements do not follow the movement and rotation of the adjustment layer like they do in the video. So I'm stumped.

Next I tried using an expression (which I found from another Creative Cow member) to connect the Distortion Mesh Offset to the Anchor Point of the null, as shown in this thread:

a=thisComp.layer("Null 1");

This works... mostly. It follows the position of the Null's Anchor Point, which is great. This is fine for circular effects such as a bulge or pinch. But the effect itself doesn't rotate, which is not so helpful for things that are more directional (such as pinching the corners of the mouth into a smile, for example).

What am I missing?

Quite confused because both this and the tutorial below indicate that you can just apply the affect to an adjustment layer parented to the tracking null and it will move just fine.

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Tracking Liquify: Rotate, etc
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:09:42 am

Maybe your head rotates too much for it to work properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved