ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Control Duplicate Cameras with Main Comp Camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scottie HainesControl Duplicate Cameras with Main Comp Camera
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 5:54:05 pm

I'm working on a project that has a main comp and a few pre-comps. Inside the pre-comps, there is also a camera that must be exactly the same as the camera in the main comp so that everything lines up. It's a Classic 3D/Ray-Traced 3D combination. AE has trouble rendering all of that in 4K at once, so I simplified by separating what needed raytracing.

What I need to know is this... Is there a way to link pre-comp cameras to the main camera so that every time I make a change to the main camera, it automatically updates the pre-comp cameras. It's a pain having to update the pre-comp cameras every time I make a change because it's such an elaborate comp.

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Control Duplicate Cameras with Main Comp Camera
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:24:38 pm

Yes, you can do this with expressions. Just change the names of the comps and cameras in the expressions appropriately. You'll have to link whatever attributes you intend to change. Put these expressions in the precomp cameras that you want to follow the main comp camera

Point of Interest:

X rotation:

Y rotation:

Z rotation:

If you are changing other camera options, you'll have to put an expression for each. The easiest way to do this is to have both timelines visible, open up both cameras, option-click on the child property you want to link, then use the pickwhip and drag it to the parent property.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

Scottie HainesRe: Control Duplicate Cameras with Main Comp Camera
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:50:43 am

Thanks! I'll give this a try in the morning! Or maybe even right now... :)

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Control Duplicate Cameras with Main Comp Camera
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 12:54:29 am

George is right on the spot, but I would add that if you are changing the parameters frecuently on your main camera you might be better off adding a null with some expression controls and then declare variables for each parameter. Then you can lock the effects control panel for the null, undock it and have it permanently floating on top of your other panels for faster access.

Return to posts index

Blake CordovaRe: Control Duplicate Cameras with Main Comp Camera
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:15:31 pm

Video Copilot has a free script with tutorial here:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved