ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Give Layer Buoyancy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles WilliamsGive Layer Buoyancy
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:51:23 am

Hi there so I have a project where I want some spears to be floating as if in space or bouncing in water like a buoy. I've gotten a bit close to this by adding a wiggle expression to the y axis:

x = transform.position[0];
y = transform.position[1];
w = wiggle(2, 150);

But it comes out rough and jagged. I want the movement to be fluid. So is there something I can do or add to the expression to make the movements more fluid. Possibly easing the wiggle or it having velocity.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Give Layer Buoyancy
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 1:11:59 pm

Use noise() instead of wiggle. Tutorial on waving animation using noise here [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Give Layer Buoyancy
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 1:23:54 pm

Dang, i am trying to understand expressions. My weakest link. Wiggle is not going to give you a fluid bounce. You could convert wiggle to keyframes and try to smoothen it out. But really i would just animate 2 keyframes of it bouncing then duplicate the keyframes.

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Give Layer Buoyancy
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 2:10:26 pm

That noise expression that Michael mentioned looks cool. I'll have to explore that more.

I was going to suggest, you could just set two keyframes for your top and bottom y position, set them to ease in and out, then apply the expression loopOut("pingpong") to the layer. You can then adjust the period of the wave by changing the timing of the keyframes, and the amplitude by the spacial distance between the two.

That said, the nice thing about Michaels noise expression, is that if you have a number of floating objects, it will look like they are effected by a common turbulent force rather than animated independently.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved