simple random 2d square reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
simple random 2d square reveal
on Aug 6, 2014 at 1:05:57 pm

Hi!
Quick Q here, sure there are many ways to achieve,
Looking for a tip on a quick simple manner.
So simple, I believed there was a preset built in :)

I am going to create a screen of squares in 3 colors (random size) that will reveal the images under by moving/dissolving to the corners.
Or
An an image A - and those squares going to evolve from the middle and move while revealing image B...

I hope I make sense here.
I guess there's a simple particle trick that can help here.
If I could shed "shadow" on the squares, even better...
Thanks for any tips

Attaching a quick jpg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: simple random 2d square reveal
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:31:55 pm

[Adam Lewen] "I guess there's a simple particle trick that can help here."

There may be. If you are using Particular, you can use a spherical field to push particles away.

You'll have to do this in two layers -- one for the upper right corner and one for the bottom left. Under Particular > Physics > Spherical Field, position the Spherical Field in the opposite corner and turn up its strength. As you increase the radius, it will push the particles away, giving you a nice center-out transition.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Aug 7, 2014 at 8:36:37 am

Thanks Walter!
Great tip to achieve what I had in mind.
After messing with it for sometime, i realize I was looking for something a bit different. Guess that happens :-P
I am guessing it can be achieved still with particular (where I assign a few different squares as particles)

the look im after is a mosaic of un-even squares in size and color that will cover the screen like tiles

where it takes them around 70 frames do fade from the middle outwards in either a circle shape or a 45 degree wiper direction.

It can be done manually, but due to the pretty common effect and the fact each particle will (hopefully) have it's own subtle random movement I had to ask in the forum
Again I have attached quick mock ups to illustrate my thought...

BTW With Walter's tip I got to my first post question, where these squares will emit and push to the corners
(No tile wall and nice circular disappearance)
Thanks all!
Adam

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Aug 7, 2014 at 9:32:42 am

OK.
So I tried tackling it from a Fractal noise tinted, boxed etc... and went back to particles.
Walter suggested 2 particle systems, and that was a great idea, having a couple more I can create that circle reveal effect. not 100% but nice.
Still if anyone has expression tips in the area, that would be a nice thing to learn!
Good weekend to you all!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:41:34 am

[Adam Lewen] "Walter suggested 2 particle systems, and that was a great idea, having a couple more I can create that circle reveal effect. not 100% but nice."

If you want a perfect circle push out from the center, you can do it with a single particle system -- just put the spherical field in the center.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:11:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
I understand what you say, but im trying to figure out how to begin with a shot where the screen is filled with floating squares
and the spherical field is "killing" the squares from the middle...
If that's what you meant could you please guide me?
Turning them off from the middle as apposed to push the away. I might need to look for a different direction.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:14:24 pm

[Adam Lewen] "I understand what you say, but im trying to figure out how to begin with a shot where the screen is filled with floating squares and the spherical field is "killing" the squares from the middle... Turning them off from the middle as apposed to push the away."

Well, that's a horse of a different color!

For this, I'd use Trapcode Form, with a custom layer map that controls either opacity or size. Feed this with a grayscale map of a circle expanding from nothing to full in the center.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Aug 7, 2014 at 9:11:36 pm

Wow
Thanks
Interesting! I will give it a test as soon as I get to a station with FORM.
In the meanwhile, by "Feed this" you mean Luma Matte? Letting this "turning them off"? Or did i miss something and only when in front of form i'll get it :)?

I really appreciate your help here! You helped me numerous times in the past.
Good weekend
Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]