ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Endless Tunnel loop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don JohnsonEndless Tunnel loop
by on Aug 5, 2014 at 8:25:09 am

I am looking to create a sort of tunnel animation, as per the concentric circles in the attached file. It would be great if the response could provide an answer that would allow for them to be alternate shape/layers as well. I understand it could just be multiple layers and a camera but is that the quickest route? Perhaps someone is aware of a plugin that will repeat layers/shapes to a given infinity point?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Endless Tunnel loop
by on Aug 5, 2014 at 8:48:48 am

You can easily create multiple instances using the Generator in FreeForm Pro or ShapeShifter AE

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joey KorenmanRe: Endless Tunnel loop
by on Aug 5, 2014 at 1:34:01 pm

Hey there! I literally just posted a tutorial on how to make awesome sci-fi space tunnels using Polar Coordinates. Check it!

Dav 02: Sci-Fi Space Tunnels with Polar Coordinates

Joey Korenman, Founder
School of Motion
Spreading Mograph Knowledge for Great Justice

Return to posts index

Gary MartinRe: Endless Tunnel loop
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 11:35:07 pm

Hi. I saw this post and figured I'd add to it rather than start a new thread.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to easily animate into a one point perspective grid like the one attached. and to make things more complicated, can it be in an infinite loop? And can it be done without 3rd party plugins?

i've scoured the forum and the internet as well and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. Can anyone here help me?

Thank you all again.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Endless Tunnel loop
by on Jul 25, 2015 at 7:05:56 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 25, 2015 at 7:18:47 pm

Hi Gary,

Here's one way to achieve it (see attached project). I used an expression which takes the index number of the layer and a slider value and scales up the layers proportionally for one loop.

(I used your sample image, replace the missing image file with that.)

To make this into an actual tunnel image (not just a grid), construct the wall, floor and ceiling pieces that are within the first complete square in your image. Just the first section in is needed. You might want some overlap over the line, my mask is not pixel-perfect. Everything's inside a precomp, as it was better to mask off a square section.

You can remove all layers except for the control layer and the bottom one, and when all set, duplicate the bottom layer as many times an needed to get an "infinite" tunnel.

To speed up or slow down, change the comp length and move the second keyframe for the slider to the end of the comp (or actually to one frame after the end of the comp).

The expression used for the layer scale is:

Wherein 1.5 is the scale factor from one layer to the next, and there's a Slider named "Scale" on a layer named "Control"

The slider animated from 4 to 6 (4 x 1.5 = 6, same as the scale factor between layers, for one full loop)

Return to posts index

Gary MartinRe: Endless Tunnel loop
by on Jul 26, 2015 at 2:34:29 pm

wow! sounds like you went to a lot of trouble for this. thank you so much.
unfortunately, for the time being i am working in AFX CS6 and can't open the file.
it sounds terrific though.
thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved