ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Media and Disk cache default to C drive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Poska
Media and Disk cache default to C drive
on Aug 4, 2014 at 1:52:24 pm

Sorry, new to this forum. I tried to find a discussion for this topic but was unable to.
System
i7-3930K
P9X79 Pro
Nvidia GTX 670
32 gig ram
Win 7 64 bit
After Effects CS6
C drive (SSD)- operating system
D-Drive (SAS)- Adobe Software Loaded here
E Drive (SAS)- media disc (audio, graphics)
F Drive (SAS)- Scratch and media cache drive
K Drive- media raid drive
I've been using After Effects for a number of years and have always set my scratch disk and media cache on a drive by themselves. Just recently when i opened after effects a message displayed that read the scratch and media cache have been defaulted to the C drive. I tried changing under preferences but except for the C drive the other drives don't show up in the after Effects Disk cache preference menu.
Did I miss something? Were there changes to the way After Effects handles the caches. I read somewhere that Premiere Pro has been changed with regards at how it handles the cache. Has that had an effect on After Effect's disk cache preferences?
Thanks
Mike

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Media and Disk cache default to C drive
on Aug 4, 2014 at 5:51:54 pm

[Mike Poska] "Just recently when i opened after effects a message displayed that read the scratch and media cache have been defaulted to the C drive. I tried changing under preferences but except for the C drive the other drives don't show up in the after Effects Disk cache preference menu."

I can't replicate this behavior. Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you click the "Choose Folder" button in Preferences > Media & Disk Cache?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mike Poska
on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:11:07 am

The only drive on the list to choose from is the "C" drive. None of the other drives that I have on the computer show up on the drop down list. They used to be listed but not anymore.

I posted a screen capture here.

Thanks
Mike

Return to posts index

Tony Madden
on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:57:28 am

I have exactly the same problem and see what's in your screenshot. I cannot run AE6 now because of the reduced space on my busy C drive. I want to change it anyway - it's not good to cache on C obviously. Will it let me change it though? No! Very annoying.

Return to posts index

Mike Poska
on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:06:05 am

I just checked the scratch disk preferences in Photoshop CS6 and the other drives on my computer are available to be used as scratch disks.
psscratch.jpg
Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 6, 2014 at 2:10:29 pm

Hi Mike,

The "Choose Folder" dialog that Ae CS6 uses to choose a cache folder is a standard Windows dialog box. I wonder if there's a specific Windows setting somewhere that is restricting your view.

In that same dialog on Ae CS6, I also have "Computer" and "Network" items. By opening "Computer" from that dialog box, I am able to choose other drives.

Until one of us figures out what's going on there, you could edit your preference file by hand to point to an existing directory on another drive:
  • Edit > Preferences
  • General
  • Click the "Reveal Preferences in Explorer" button
  • Quit Ae CS6
  • Open the "Adobe After Effects 11.0-x64 Prefs.txt" file that was revealed in a text editor
  • Search for ["Disk Cache Controls"] (including the brackets and quotes)
  • Change the value of the the Folder entry to reflect where you'd like to store your cache. The directory must already exist, so create it in Explorer if necessary. For example: "Folder 6" = "H:\Adobe Caches\AE"
  • Save the preferences.
  • Re-launch Ae.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mike Poska
on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:07:22 am

Thanks, I have that working but there's also the "Conformed Media Cache"- "Dadtabase" and "Cache". I couldn't find these settings in the "Adobe After Effects 11.0-x64 Prefs.txt" file.

I found this 2013 thread on Adobe about drive permissions.
https://forums.adobe.com/message/5615360#5615360
About half way down it gives an explanation on how to change the permissions on the drives. Haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the help
Mike

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:18:09 pm

[Mike Poska] "Thanks, I have that working but there's also the "Conformed Media Cache"- "Dadtabase" and "Cache". I couldn't find these settings in the "Adobe After Effects 11.0-x64 Prefs.txt" file. "

Those settings are shared among Ae, Pr, and AME.

I'm not sure offhand where they are stored, but you may be able to change it in Pr instead of Ae.

Pr CS6 uses a Windows standard file-picker dialog instead of the Windows standard folder-picker dialog for the cache. This includes a text entry field below, so even if the drives are hidden by your system policy there, you may be able to type in the drive letter (like "D:\") to navigate.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

William Coleman
on Aug 10, 2015 at 2:35:57 pm

Has anyone ever found the prefs document for "Conformed Media Cache?" I have searched dozens of prefs text files and cannot find it anywhere - but the cache is really tying up our c drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]