ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Zooming Into/Out Of Photographs/TV Screens

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay EverallZooming Into/Out Of Photographs/TV Screens
by on Aug 2, 2014 at 1:08:06 pm

Hi All,

I'm going to be shooting a music video soon and there's a few scenes in which the main character will look at a photograph or watch something on TV, and we'll then be transported to that scene.

The effect I'm after is based on my favourite music video of all time, Ready for the Weekend by Calvin Harris (watch:

) The 'zoom' effect coming into and out of the circles is what I'm after.

Now, we're shooting all of these cutaways the day before the main recording begins so that we can produce stills and DVD loops to use, but I wondered whether there was anything else I'd need to be aware of for the shoot, in order to best make this happen.

I've seen the 'making of' for the above video, and all of the circles were actually in chroma blue or green, with white X markers on them. They obviously have a higher budget for visual effects than me, but if anybody has any ideas on how to best make this happen, it'd be really appreciated!

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Jay EverallRe: Zooming Into/Out Of Photographs/TV Screens
by on Aug 3, 2014 at 12:07:44 pm

Hi Again,

So I've been doing some research whilst waiting for my post to be moderated, and 'replacing' the photo in the frame using Mocha seems to be the best way to go - are there any tips when dealing with photographs and TV video on set as to when to replace in post and when to just use the original image?

There is also a scene where the photo frame needs to be smashed, I'm assuming it'll be easier to do this using an actual photo rather than a matte?

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Zooming Into/Out Of Photographs/TV Screens
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 4:25:14 pm

Smashing a photo will be much easier if you do it for real and don't try to add the picture in later.

My rule of thumb is to do something practically if at all possible. Doing things for real provides you with all the nuances that realism requires without any extra work on your part. Doing it in post instead of practically means a ton of work to fake realism.

I've done things like this and I tracked a real photo and then faded into the video footage before the zoom in finished. It makes it seem a little more seamless.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved