ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion graphic elements for a web series - what size - write on effect - general advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi Boose
Motion graphic elements for a web series - what size - write on effect - general advice
on Aug 2, 2014 at 1:03:14 am

Hi I'm in the process of creating graphic elements for a webisode. Using version 5.5

Everything up until now has just been logos and static elements but now I'm trying to create some motion symbols - just simple stuff like a check mark, an x, a star and some arrows.

Most of them will draw on and I'm working with the write on effect. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this - i feel like i 'm spending a lot more time than I need to.

I'm not even sure how big I should make these motion graphics. I asked the producer who hired me who says we should just do it 1920 x 1080, just in case. But that would be for full screen video - the elements will be a lot smaller than full screen and I'm thinking I shouldn't have a lot of space around them.

I'm also rendering them out as pngs or png codec - so that it will have a transparent background.

Any advice from anyone who does this type of thing more often?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Motion graphic elements for a web series - what size - write on effect - general advice
on Aug 2, 2014 at 2:55:37 am

Ah yes, the write on effect. It is very difficult to draw curves without paths. So first draw a mask in the shape of a checkmark, just one line right in the middle for the path to follow, hit m to bring up masks, select the mask path, copy and paste onto the brush path. Similiarily you could draw the path in illustrator and paste it in the same way. Then animate the size of the stroke, make sure size is selected.

If your path does not look right after the effect is applied you will save more time by redrawing the mask rather than moving brush path points around. also check transparent background for the write on effect. Oh and these are not vector so create one in its own comp and shrink it rather than scale up/

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
Re: Motion graphic elements for a web series - what size - write on effect - general advice
on Aug 5, 2014 at 10:01:31 pm

Great... thanks!

Now I'm having a problem where the stroke I'm making for the write-on effect is going BEHIND the image Im trying to draw on instead of in front of it. Any Idea why that would be?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11:39 pm

Sounds like a layer ordering issue but I'll give u the benefit of the doubt and tell you to double check that background is set to be transparent on the write on effect window. Or check 3d position. Or check blending mode of the layer.

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:14:00 pm

Ok - I restarted AE and that stopped happening but when I try to paste the path from illustrator into AE there are like 500 masks made! In illustrator, it seems to be only one path. I'm using a brush to simulate a marker so maybe it's because of the brush.

Also, the write-on effect brush only goes to 50 px which is not big enough to cover my stroke.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:28:03 pm

Then I would just use the stroke effect or animate a mask revealing the check

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]