ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Kinetic Typography Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared BoiceKinetic Typography Question
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 11:50:49 pm

I've done a little bit of kinetic typography, but there's obviously a lot of talent out there. I'm hoping to up my game.....I'm looking for a solid tutorial that will explain how to do the types of typography effects seen in the example below at 39 seconds and again at 54 seconds. Also if there's any good after market plug-ins for Text Effects that are good I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that as well.

Any direction would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Kinetic Typography Question
by on Aug 2, 2014 at 12:10:55 am

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jared BoiceRe: Kinetic Typography Question
by on Aug 3, 2014 at 5:15:53 pm

Thanks for responding. That link has a lot of content to sort through. Could you point me to which part of it contains the effect I was originally asking for? Thanks again

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Kinetic Typography Question
by on Aug 2, 2014 at 3:13:33 am

The shaking off text thing....It looks like it was done by hand. Type each line out then just animate position, rotation, with 3d turned on of course. Overall this is not a very fast moving typography. Its more like an advertisement then typography. But anyways. There are some plugins that could do this, You could even do it with cc particle world....Listen up

Create a comp with a text, make it 1-3 frames long, in fact make all your lines of texts, lets say 10. Select them all, use animation- keyframe assistant -sequence layers. duplicate all layers and repeat this process until you think you have enough, should not need more than a second or 2. Precomp. Create a new solid and add cc particle world. go to particle-particle type-textured square. set texture time to birth, scale up birth and death sizes or it will look invisible, max opacity...etc. start birth rate at some number and animate it to zero over a few your animation. Hope you understand, and hope it helps.

Return to posts index

Jared BoiceRe: Kinetic Typography Question
by on Aug 3, 2014 at 5:13:43 pm

That's an interesting technique but I do have a couple questions.

Should all the text layers each remain one frame or should I extend them?

Also I notice sometimes that a text particle would look cut in half or chopped off in some way.

And lastly, but most importantly, how can I achieve this effect with existing text on the screen, without creating new text but utilizing text that has already done its thing on the screen and lets say I want it to kind of end with the jump up and float away and off the screen effect...

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Kinetic Typography Question
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 12:29:58 pm

Keep the texts layers one frame for the most variety of texts flying all over.The texts must not extend past the original size of the comp containing them. Either way they will fly by so fast no one will notice they are cut off.
And lastly, Im not sure which part your talking about. Jump up and float away. If you are referencing the video. The word industry at 39 seconds. If thats what your asking. You just copy your text into a new comp, animate it jumping. then put the text particles comp above or below your jumping text comp, edit the timing so that it flows together. See how the text just pops on screen. It does not need a transition, just a hard cut.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved