ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Extruded Text in After Effects CC Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Guest3D Extruded Text in After Effects CC Question
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 4:39:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm using a "stencil" font where each letter is divided into discrete parts. I'm extruding this text and applying some fancy text animation, but my client would like the individual parts of the letters to be different colours. Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve hours of painstaking masking? I've tried converting the letters to shapes but the animation is not retained.

Thanks in advance,

J J Guest

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: 3D Extruded Text in After Effects CC Question
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 6:02:03 pm

Why would you have to mask anything? Cant you just change the original color of the text by letter?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 1, 2014 at 6:11:39 pm

Why would you have to mask anything? Cant you just change the original color of the text by letter?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3D Extruded Text in After Effects CC Question
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 6:29:30 pm

Richard's suggestion works if you are trying to have each letter be one color, but my reading of Jason's request is that he wants each letter to me made up of multiple colors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jason GuestRe: 3D Extruded Text in After Effects CC Question
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:36:14 am

Yes, that's right; I need the individual parts of the letters to be different colours. I'm in the process of learning Cinema 4D, but I'm not up to speed with it enough to turn around this job in the time available.

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Jason GuestRe: 3D Extruded Text in After Effects CC Question
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 3:21:58 pm

Hi there,

I have made a little progress with this problem, and my solution has been to use the "create shapes from text" command from the layer menu. However this handy little tool only does one frame at a time, so I decided to have a go at writing a script that would go through the work area one frame at a time, creating shapes from the text as a new layer (and preferably changing the in and out points of the new layer so that it lasts for just one frame).

However, I am new to scripting and what I've written still only does one frame. I've cannibalized part of a script called framesplitter to do this. I know why it doesn't work; there's nothing to tell it to change the current frame, but sadly I can't find anything similar enough to adapt to my needs:

{
function ShapeMaker()
{
var proj = app.project;
var comp = proj.activeItem;
var activeLayer, workAreaStart, workAreaEnd, duration;

if (!(comp instanceof CompItem)) { // check if a comp is selected
alert("Please select a composition.");
return;
} else if (comp.selectedLayers.length != 1){ // check if a single layer is selected
alert("Please select a single layer.");
return;
}

activeLayer = comp.selectedLayers[0];

workAreaStart = comp.workAreaStart;
workAreaEnd = workAreaStart + comp.workAreaDuration;

if (activeLayer.inPoint > workAreaStart) workAreaStart = activeLayer.inPoint;
if (activeLayer.outPoint < workAreaEnd) workAreaEnd = activeLayer.outPoint;

duration = workAreaEnd - workAreaStart;

for (i = 1; i < duration/comp.frameDuration; i++) {
app.executeCommand(app.findMenuCommandId("Create Shapes from Text"));
}

}
ShapeMaker();
}

Can anyone tell me how to tell the script to move to the next frame? I can probably figure out the rest for myself.

Thanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2014 at 2:49:08 am

Does it have to be After effects ray traced 3d. its so slow, so time consuming. You could use element 3d, cinema 4d, or even the faux 3d effect we all know so well. Or, don't make it 3d at all. 3d doesn't necessarily make everything better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]