ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAW MXF files in After Effects CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre MonteiroRAW MXF files in After Effects CS6
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:54:39 am

Hi. I have to do some compositing on some raw files from a Sony FS700 and just realized i can't import them into AE. I found a free plugin that allowed me to import them in Premiere but can't find anything to AE. I know i could convert them in Premiere but i don't want to lose the raw attributes until final render.
They are in a MXF format.

Can anyone please point me to a direction here?

*Updating to CC isn't an option right now since I'm working on Vista 64.

Thank you very much in advance

Andre Monteiro

Return to posts index

Curtis CosbyRe: RAW MXF files in After Effects CS6
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 2:26:12 pm

Have you tried to import them into Premiere, then Dynamic Link to After Effects? I am not sure how the file type will translate in that instance but maybe with the communication between Premiere and AE you won't lose the Raw attributes. I am on CC but I am pretty sure you can Dynamic Link in CS6. You will need your files in the timeline but then you just right click on the file and select replace with After Effects comp.

Hopefully that will help. If not maybe someone else will chime in.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RAW MXF files in After Effects CS6
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 2:56:33 pm

Curtis's suggestion won't work in this case. Dynamic Link from Premiere Pro to After Effects requires After Effects to understand the footage, too.

We added Sony RAW import in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Andre MonteiroRe: RAW MXF files in After Effects CS6
by on Aug 1, 2014 at 3:20:36 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. So there is no work around this but upgrading to CC?
I tried the Dynamic Link but it didn't work.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: RAW MXF files in After Effects CS6
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 4:13:33 pm

Transcoding your footage is a solution.
Not an ideal solution, but a solution.
Render out the clips you need from Premiere into a lossless intermediate codec like QuickTime with the PNG codec (or close enough to lossless like DNxHD, Cineform, or QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roderick StevensRe: RAW MXF files in After Effects CS6
by on Jan 27, 2016 at 6:08:30 pm

Hello there.

Just following up on this comment "We added Sony RAW import in After Effects CC 2014". I'm wondering if I'm missing something because while I can indeed import RAW files into AE, it automatically applies some kind of colorspace to it (REC709-ish), even if the project's colorspace chosen is "None". No matter what colorspace I choose from the available selections, none of them give me the flat, RAW image to work with, so I've still been stuck having to tediously change all the masterclips in Premiere from REC709 to sLog2, then render them out as QT files with as little compression as possible and then import those into AE for the effects work.

NOT an ideal workflow to say the least.

Is AE working on making it possible to import RAW files in the RAW colorspace? Or again, am I missing something?

Thanks bunches.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved